Wednesday, April 13, 2011

WINNER!! (and Out of Shape)

Edited -- After I posted this I realized that I really haven't mentioned how stinkin' excited I am for this weekend. This post isn't meant to sound down and out; I just need to document where I'm at with stuff. Rest assured, I'm completely wound up and antsy over here. Saturday can't get here soon enough!!!

Now that I've accepted to just roll with the punches and take it easier than planned at Boston, I'm excited and looking forward to the trip. I'm even feeling optimistic about the Achilles but that is based on nothing other than my recent positive thinking. I'll know more on Friday when I take it for another test run. But really, it doesn't matter how that goes; I'll be lining up at the start for a fun 26.2 miles through MA regardless. With that being said, I'm starting to wonder if I'm nuts for even thinking I can run 26 miles after such a long break. I have to be honest; I've sucked the past 4 weeks. Sucked. The first week after Shamrock I was still fighting the flu so I didn't do a darn thing. Nadda. Zilch. So it wasn't until the following week that I got moving a little bit but even then, I wasn't back to feeling like my normal self.  Now after 3 weeks of sporadic elliptical/bike workouts and a few (~4) lbs heavier*, I'm feeling completely out of shape. I was really frustrated with myself last night but it's too late for that now and there's nothing I can do. I just wish I felt stronger going into this run.  I'll finish and it might be more painful than normal but that's the price I have to pay. Hopefully I still have some muscle memory left to carry me the distance...

*I've been all over the place with my eating and with the lack of good solid workouts; it's just too darn easy to put on weight! I'm seriously lost when I'm not running and feeling so down because of the injury didn't help with making good food choices. On top of it, I follow a completely different set of "rules" when I'm not racing a marathon. My normal restrictions during the weeks leading up to this have gone out the window...for example: the 2 glasses of wine last night and sour blue razzberry candies that never would have happened during race week had I been racing this marathon. But with that being said, I have to remember that I am running a marathon, even if not fast, so the next 5 days need to be on track. No more crapola.

Now, time for the winner of the RazzyRoo headband GIVEAWAY. My sister, Michelle, who will be coming to Boston to cheer me on, was my random number generator. She picked #4, which was her number when she played flag football. So the winner is: JenniferLeah from Miles, Muscles & Mommyhood. Jennifer, email me at dclaffey76@yahoo.com and we'll get your headbands sent out. Congrats!

11 comments:

misszippy said...

You'd be surprised by how much the body remembers, so don't count yourself out just yet! And look at it this way--you just got a great PR, so Boston is just the icing on the cake.

Best of luck!!

kristen said...

I'm sorry you're not able to race Boston- but just think of how much more of the atmosphere you'll get to take in? Is that any consolation at all?
Regardless- good luck!

Robin said...

Enjoy the experience, bring a camera and take photos and soak up the atmoshpere. I agree, the hard work and achievement is getting there, the actual race, icing on the cake! Enjoy and congratulations.

Marlene said...

I know you're feeling less than stellar going into this marathon, but I also know you have the experience and determination to get through it!

It's just a victory lap! A really long and FREAKING THRILLING victory. lap.

But no more candy for you!!

Jen Feeny said...

Not training def throws you for a loop, I know this all too well. Which is why I created a "recovery plan" to keep me accountable. I have successfully been able to loose the "cookie weight" I had gained from eating my sorrows away in cookies. :) Can't wait to meet you this weekend, to give you a hug and see you off for the race!

Scott McMurtrey said...

I think the weekend is going to be such a blur that we'll have to go back and do it another time. :)

Jeanette said...

Can I be your random number generator some time???

Felice Devine said...

MissZippy is so right. Enjoy that cake icing!!

You'll have a great time. Like you said, you're excited. So whatever happens, enjoy yourself!

Sara said...

Best of luck in Boston! I'm so impressed and excited for you that you are even going. I'll be thinking of you and can't wait to hear about it. :)

joyRuN said...

ENJOY the experience!

And it's amazing how the body responds to clean eating, isn't it? I tried it for the week leading up to my last couple of events, & I've been pleasantly surprised. I need to be more like you w/ that.

Abby said...

I really do think Muscle Memory can go a long way, especially if, as you say, you're not out there to "race" it, but just to run and have fun. And without all the pressure, you can bring your camera, mug for pictures, and just enjoy!