Sunday, April 3, 2011

WINNER and Some Ramblings

It's really killing me right now that I can't run. I think I'm handling it even worse than I did over the summer, except there have been less tears this time around. When I went into the boot in July I was devastated, this time I'm just pissed. I'm starting to go crazy and I want to get out there so badly. I feel like I'm turning into a slug and losing fitness by the second. But on the other hand, my body is still feeling tired and out of sorts. I talked to someone who said they felt the effects of the flu for close to a month so I'm guessing between that and the marathon my body just isn't back to it's normal self yet? Who knows?

Anyway, this past weekend was a 5k that 18 of my family members participated in at my suggestion back around Christmas. For all but 3 of them, it was their first. We had a beautiful morning for a race and it absolutely killed me that I couldn't join them. But I put on my smile and headed out to cheer them on. I ran with them at the start for a bit and then picked them up on their way back running each group/person part way to the finish. I was so proud of them and even happier that they all  had a great time and want to do another one!!

All the run/walkers and their cheerleader!

As for the Achilles, it was ok for most of it but towards the end it was definitely getting sore. After the race I headed to the gym for an hour on the elliptical and then 30 minutes on the bike. The whole time I was cranky that instead of being outside in the beautiful weather I was stuck trying to make myself sweat while watching King Pin. I'm really, REALLY concerned about Boston and am praying PT and the oral steroids work their magic. I'll go for a test run next weekend to see if there's any improvement and I'm already nervous about this. I'm not sure what I'll do if it's not feeling any better...but I do know I'll cry. Once I know the outcome, I'll start to formulate a plan for Boston. Right now I'm certain of two things: 1) I'll probably do a run/walk so I don't get injured any more since I haven't been running and 2) I WILL cross that finish line one way or another.

Ok, enough whining...I'm off for a walk in this beautiful weather. But before I go, it's time to pick a winner for the Run Free tee. My random number generator, Andy, picked #14. So Jill from finishing is winning, email me at dclaffey76@yahoo.com. Congrats!! And no worries to those who didn't win, I have another giveaway coming up this week!!

9 comments:

Abby said...

Oy, I'm so sorry to hear that the pain is lingering - I was really hoping that it was just a little post-Shamrock grumpiness. I know that it's rough and I know how much you want to be out there - keep on taking care of yourself, and drop me a note if you want to get in an early-morning walk until you're back in the running game next week.

On another note, glad to hear that the family run went so well!

joyRuN said...

Hang in there :(

I'm still amazed how well that run/walk worked for me - I hope it works out for you too.

Congrats to the fam!!!

Anonymous said...

First of all----I AM SO EXCITED THAT I WON...made for a nice Monday morning surprise :)

Second, you are not a slug!!!! Take care of yourself!

Sara said...

That is so awesome that your family did a race together - great picture!

Have a great week too! :)

fancy nancy said...

Look at you getting your whole family on the road!!! I love the picture!

Hang in there! I hope you are 100% soon! Just keep on taking care of yourself! It will pay off!

Marlene said...

I am keeping everything crossed that it starts to feel better, and pronto! You have worked so hard for this - it just doesn't seem fair.

RunToTheFinish said...

glad you were able to enjoy the day in some way with your family, I just think that is so wonderful they all did it.

i have this feeling your are pissed becaues it's probably going to heal really quick, so it's more annoying that something you really have to deal with like the boot...here's to hoping I'm a psychic :)

Felice Devine said...

Oh, crap to the crap! I really hope that the PT and steroids work their magic.

Iron Mike said...

Denise! You kicked Shamrock's butt. That was such a thrilling race report.
Now remind your achilles who is boss. And go punch a flip flop.
Come back stronger and ready to race, because, oh, there's gotta be a 3:30 in your future.