After a quick wait in the corral, wave 2 started right on time at 10:20am. We walked a few feet and before I knew it we were slowly running before we even crossed the mat. I had heard so much about the downhill start before the race and how it can kill you for later but I never really thought much about it. Well, right away I knew what everyone meant and I was happy I was forced to take the start of the race so slowly. But with that being said, the start of the race was very lonely for me. Everyone was excited and quickly passing me by and there I was, scared and paranoid that at any given second my Achilles would seize up and I'd be walking. I didn't even want to chat with anyone because I had no idea when I would be forced to walk. The first mile or so I felt alone, sad and even thought that this was going to be a really long day.
Slight downhill right at the start
Thankfully I quickly came to my senses and realized that I was ruining the experience for myself. At that moment I worked my way over further to the side of the road and started high fiving some spectators. Within a minute I was beaming and had a spring in my step! THIS is how I pictured running the Boston marathon! And that's how I continued right through Ashland…
I took the early downhill miles easy although my body really wanted to pick it up. Even if my Achilles held up, I knew I still needed to be conservative considering my month off before the race. So I sucked it up and didn't let the thousands of runners passing me bother me at all…and I had a feeling I'd be seeing some of them later when they didn't save enough for the Newton hills.
I loved this shortcut sign!
It was either mile 4 or 5 when I decided to take my first water stop walk. But instead of walking a minute as planned, I walked while I took a few sips and then quickly started back up again. I repeated this at almost all the remaining water stops but a few. I had some pain from time to time in the Achilles but it wasn't the fist making, teeth clenching, cursing out loud pain that I had experienced the weeks before so I kept pushing forward. As I crossed each Athlete Alert mat I was ecstatic that my sister and Andy would see I was holding on strong and I just hoped that held true the remainder of the race.
Now, as for the race and course itself, it was unbelievable. I am SO glad I ran with my camera and was able to soak it up all. I thought to myself several times out there that I was so happy I was not racing. The crowd support was crazy and they all seemed to be having such a great time (I'm sure the beers helped!). There were people handing out sponges soaked in water, ice pops, candy, orange slices, etc and you always had water if you needed it in between official water stops. There was even a "lube" stand where you could swing by and get some Vaseline for any chafing!
There were spectators all along the course but some spots were more populated than others. Entering Wellesley College was my favorite part. You could hear the screams well before you reached the girls with their "kiss me…" signs. I had made it my mission to kiss some girls and that's exactly what I did! I got kisses from: "kiss me I'm gay," "kiss me I love chemistry" (I'm a chemist so I couldn't pass her up), "kiss me, I think science is cool" and the best one, shown below, was for "girls only." The girls got so excited if you stopped to kiss them…so much that I even went back to kiss one that I had originally passed by. It was so fun and worth running backwards in a marathon!
Ready for some kisses!
The miles flew by and it was impossible to take it all in. The sights, sounds, other runners, spectators…it was all amazing! I typically run looking at the ground but on Monday I had a bobble head and was on sensory overload. All along I was feeling pretty good. My legs were tired but I never once felt like I was falling apart or wouldn't finish. The course is definitely challenging but it didn't faze me too much at the time because of all the fun I was having. The hills that everyone warns you about, yes, they are there, but they are not as bad as everyone makes them sound. If you were all out racing then they'd be a lot tougher, of course. But honestly, I didn't even know I was on Heartbreak Hill until I saw this big heart colored in chalk on the road!
The "you've got great stamina, call me" was my favorite sign.
Heartbreak Hill artwork.
Survived Heartbreak and still smiling!
Some of the Boston College kids.
As we got closer to the finish the crowds really started getting thick. At one point I actually thought that I was glad I wasn't in the crowds, it looked sort of scary everyone so packed in together. When I got my first glimpse of the Citgo sign I couldn't believe it was almost all over. The miles went by so quickly and I couldn't believe I was nearing the finish. And I'm not sure I was ready for it to end! I knew Andy, my sister and Lisa would be somewhere within the last mile so I kept my eyes peeled hoping I could pick them out of the crowd. As we made our first turn of the race onto Hereford Street I spotted my crew right up against the barricade. I bolted over to them, my arms stretched and tears running down my face. I gave them the biggest, sweaty hug and didn't want to let go. But Andy (who I swear had tears in his eyes but won't admit it) yelled, "You're almost there, don’t stop, keep going!!"
Crazy crowds!
Lisa captured this great shot as I ran to Mich and Andy for a hug!
Brings tears to my eyes every time I see it.
I turned onto Boylston and composed myself. It was my last few seconds to take it all in and I could finally see the finish line that I had been waiting a year and half to cross. I crossed the finish line with a huge smile on my face and my arms in the air.
4:08:36
I am a Boston Marathon Finisher.
Post race, hurting. Definitely the sorest I've been after a marathon. Since I didn't race I'm chalking it up to my body not being used to pounding the pavement combined with the difficulty of the course. As for my time, I couldn't be happier with it. I ran a 4:08 a month after racing a 3:35 marathon, dealing with an injury that kept me from running for a month, taking walk breaks, snapping pictures, getting kisses and hugs...and best of all, I enjoyed every single step out there and had the time of my life. I couldn't have asked for a better Boston experience.

23 comments:
Your pictures tell it all. Cannot express how happy I am for you. All those good healing vibes worked!!! Awesome....amazing post!!!!
Congrats on a great marathon! Looks like you had a fabulous time!
Your pictures are priceless. What great memories. I'm so glad you had such a fantastic race!
I love these pics! What an experience...congrats again..
Hey Denise, Just stopping by to congratulate you on your huge accomplishment, congratulations, loved your race report!
AWESOME all the way. I am so so so proud of you and happy for you. I was NERVOUS for you. I knew you could handle the distance, we just needed that achilles to cooperate and it did!
You ran such an incredible race, taking it all in and staying strong. No small feat!!
I love that you kissed the girls! Got to live it up! haha
Congrats again!
So glad you took pictures!!! Awesome! I got tears too on the pic of you running to Michelle and Andy. I'm glad it is all over now.... too much stress :)
This is a great report- I really felt like i was out there with you. You took a situation that could have ruined your race and make it MAKE the race!! Once again...WAY TO GO!
What an awesome recap!!! You can tell you had an amazing experience!!! COngrats to you!!!
Loved your recap! You embraced the fun of Boston and it showed! CONGRATS!!!
Awesome! Glad you enjoyed the experience of it. PR somewhere else ... Boston should be experienced.
Now that's the way to run Boston. Great job girlie.
CONGRATS!!! I'm so happy you embraced boston and had a blast doing it. It reallly is an amazing and unique marathon.
You ROCK SISTER!! So sad our picture didn't make the post :( Hey I make you look short.. Love love love all the pictures, such a fun time for you.
Just getting caught up - and loving your two-part recap!
I love, love, love that you went out with that attitude and finished still feeling great about it! Your recap and memories from this race are going to live on in infamy when you think of all the races you ran throughout your life. It's not often we get to soak up every moment of a race because our goals are usually focused on PRing and when that is happening we certainly don't embrace every moment of the course, the crowd, etc... I think of all the recaps yours is my favorite because I just felt like I was right there with you and I can hear the smile on your face in your words!
That achilles was such a damned mixed blessing.
There is no way you'd have had such a fun race without it.
That's still a really good finishing time considering your time off, slower pace, and grabbing all those pictures and kisses. Congrats.
Congratulations! This is a great recap for what sounds like an absolutely amazing race.
Congrats!! Great recap!
Love all the pictures! I wish I carried a camera or something!
such great memories. I loved reading this, I had the same exp on heartbreak hill- did not even realize! congrats Denise!
Congrats on a great race and fabulous pictures!!!
omgosh I am SO IN LOVE with this race report. You captured everything so perfectly and I LOVE all the pics!!!! Brings me right back to that place :)
So glad you were able to go have the race of your life and ENJOY every step. Remeber a few weeks ago when you weren't even going to go?! I can't believe it all came and went so fast but I am so glad it lived up to and exceeded both of our expectations. Congrats BOSTON MARATHONER and I am so glad I bumped into you at the subway to give you a big hug in our jackets <3
Congrats! I can't believe I did not see that giant heart on heartbreak hill...I was seriously delirious(or however you spell it ;)
Post a Comment