It is absolutely beautiful today!! After getting some blood work done, routine physical junk, I headed over to the one mile loop we have to practice my pace for NJ half this weekend. I'm pacing the 2:15 group and I'm a little nervous, as I've never paced before. It doesn't really help my nerves either that it looks like I'm going to have a huge group. I've been getting a gazillion emails from people who plan to line up with me at the start. They are calling for perfect weather on Sunday so I'm hoping it's a great experience and I don't screw everyone up. I practiced 4 miles last night and was only off total time by 3 seconds. Today was a little quicker, off by 5. Even though Sundays pace will be slow for me, I actually think it's going to be harder. My body does not run a 10:18 pace. In fact, I'm not really running. I have to alter my gait into more of a shuffle. But I feel pretty confident that I'll be able to dial it in and get these kids to the finish within their goal time.
Tomorrow is my first bike session with Coach Bill. On the road. It's on a road which closes to traffic during the summer to allow for roller blading, running, cycling, etc but still, it's a road. And I don't like roads. They hurt when you land on them. I really need to work on my road confidence and am thinking if I crash right off the bat I'll get over that fear pretty quickly.
Speaking of biking, I got my official Tri schedule for the next 5 weeks. Oh my. Very different than training for a marathon. At first I just stared at it thinking "uh oh." But then I got excited about a new challenge and I'm looking forward to it. I remember being concerned about those 4 tough weeks of Shamrock training and the 4:45am wake up calls, but when it came down to it, it wasn't bad and I actually enjoyed it. According to Coach, the first 5 weeks are tougher than normal for a sprint tri because the goal is to get me in 70.3 shape by the time my Olympic distance rolls around in July. I love the sound of that and I am hoping I love the effects this training has on my overall fitness, too. There won't be much time for me to get into trouble over the summer, but debauchery can wait...
Hope everyone has a great weekend and good luck to all those racing. GO GET IT KATIE!!
Giveaway coming up next week!
5 comments:
Good luck with your ride on the road! At least there won't be traffic to make it even scarier.
Have fun pacing. I would think that slowing down is definitely harder, but I know you can do it!
Good luck pacing your runners. I have to imagine that will be difficult without breaking form significantly. I'm constantly trying to figure out how to slow myself down while still managing a mid-foot strike. Hope the weather cooperates per the forecast.
you'll do great, have fun!
I'll bet you will do great. I think it would be fun to be a pacer.
Denise! We found you! We loved running with you today! Not only were your tips perfect while we ran, but we totally enjoyed chatting the entire race. My first half marathon experience was awesome...can't wait to come back for more. Now my only concern is how I'm going to run without you as our pacer! PLEASE let us know if you'll be pacing any other halves in the future so we can sign up!
Ann&Jocelyn
Post a Comment