Sunday, November 8, 2009

Shot Blok Holder

I'm stilling fighting this stupid cold but managed to get out for a great 15 miler with Coach Jack yesterday. It's nice running with Coach because I get to vent about the things that have me nervous for race day and he usually has a fix for them all. Case in point...

I've mentioned before that I don't know if I want to wear my waist belt with water bottle or carry my hand held. I have to keep my hands dry and warm due to my Raynauds (click here for a picture) so I'll be wearing gloves under a pair of mittens. Last year, I lost all feeling in my hands and arms and was unable to open my Gus, grab water, etc. Not only is it annoying, but it's really painful so I need to keep my digits warm this year!! Since I'll be wearing mittens, I'm limited with what I can do without my fingers free. If I wear my waist belt, I'm worried I'll fumble to get my water bottle in and out of the holder (there's a little elastic strap that has to be put around the bottle after you put it in the sleeve to keep it from popping out). I think I'd rather use my hand held, but how will I get to my shot bloks and where will I put them? This may seem silly, but it's had me stressed out over the past few weeks. I have to be prepared to have limited movement/feeling in my hands and have to make sure I can get to my water and bloks easily. So, after mentioning all this to Coach, he of course had a solution. He suggested putting the shot bloks under a wrist band and then pushing out a blok one at a time, as needed. Totally doable with the new shot blok packaging (which between you and me, it took me FOREVER to figure out the point of the new packaging). Anyway, it just so happens that John at MarathonPaceBand.com sent me this pace band with my BQ splits on it to use on race day.


Oh, and they added a little motivational saying to the other side...


So, I when I got home I immediately tested out the bloks under the band and I think this might work!
I will, of course, practice this on one of my runs this week to make sure it's comfortable. If it works, it's one less thing to be stressed about!
Here's my schedule for the week:
Mon - 5 mi, with 3 miles at 8:20
Tues - off
Wed - 3 mi
Thurs - 5 mi, with 4x100 strides
Fri - 3 mi
Sat - 9 mi with last mile at 8:20
Sun - off
Man, look at the low mileage! What am I going to do with all this free time? I better find something or else the taper madness will be sure to get me! Two weeks to go...

25 comments:

RunningLaur said...

Looks like a great solution, an dno struggling with Gu's

Enjoy the low miles :)

Shellyrm ~ just a country runner said...

Creative solution!

Can't wait to see what you accomplish with all your free time...finding sanity would be high on my list! ;-)

Norma said...

Great solution! I ran my first 5 Mile road race today...click on over to see the story if you have time!

Anonymous said...

Very creative- I hope it works for you!!!

Mel -Tall Mom on the Run said...

Taper madenss UGH!! Wow good idea with the wrist band. I wonder if you put the blocks in a plastic baggy if it would be nicer against your skin than the package.

Anonymous said...

What an inspiration ;) Love those low miles weeks!!

Jill said...

Perfect solution!!

Taper time is about the only time I get my house clean. :)

Teamarcia said...

Hi! I just found your blog and I love your Shot Block solution--cute pace band too!
Good luck with your marathon and happy taper!

Relentless Forward Commotion said...

I would have never guessed that's why they repackaged them! huh! I love the new raceband!!

Tony said...

I'm so excited for your marathon. Can't wait for the race report I"m dying to do Philly one day.

Susan said...

Taper time!! I hope the Shot Blok Holder works for you on the way to a BQ!

Mel-2nd Chances said...

hope you continue to feel better! Love the holder, hope it works!! You're almost there :)

Abby said...

Very resourceful!

Marlene said...

Love the pace band, and very clever with the Bloks. I totally understand stressing over these little things - glad you're working out the details now!

X-Country2 said...

What a great solution!

Lauren @ mostly i run said...

I hope it works for you!

My toes will turn white and go numb when I'm cold. I never realized there was an actual name for it; just assumed it was a circulation problem. When my core is warm I'm fine, but even if the a/c is too cold it can happen!

joyRuN said...

I missed all my runs last week because of this daggone cold, and this week's definitely not the time to make it up. Ah well - trust the training, right?

Glad you were able to get your 15 in!

Aron said...

woooo!!! love getting all those little things figured out :) sounds like your coach is just so awesome! love the pace band too.

you are going to do great girl, keep the mind focused and get those legs ready to race!!!

Kathy said...

I hope it works out, way to turn a negative situation upside down! :)

Felice Devine said...

So glad you got in a good 15 miler! Keep feeling better :-)

RunToTheFinish said...

ohhh love the band, I have been trying to find something with pacing...ha for when I finally am 100% better and doing my speedwork again

glad coach is keeping you sane in taper

Katie A. said...

Very cool solution! I love the pace bracelet! Good luck with taper week! ;)

Eliza Returns said...

Very useful!

Good luck with the taper.

Anna Banana said...

Thanks for the comment! I just added you to my reader. I love your blog as well or maybe your ambition is what I love! I am also in search of a BQ, hopefully next year(fingers crossed)! Good Luck NO GREAT LUCK in two weeks you will rock it so hard!!!

Tricia said...

Hi, thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving such a lovely comment. I look forward to catching up on yours.