Haven't had much to talk about this week because I've been a little sick. I woke up from a nap on Sunday with a sore throat and it just got worse through the night. When I got up on Monday for work, I could barely swallow and I thought I better try to sleep this thing off. To play it safe, I didn't run on Monday either, which killed me. I managed to get a 6 miler in on Tuesday but didn't have much in me. So instead of doing my scheduled workout with marathon pace miles, I did some strides instead. Then yesterday I pulled myself together and ran 4 miles after work. I thought I was on the upswing but then I woke up this morning and felt like poo! So I'm home again on the couch, trying to pee this thing out of me. I'm chugging water like it's nobody's business! I'm not sure if I'll get out for my 6 mile run today or not. I'm going to grab some lunch then head back to bed and see how I feel when I wake up.
I'm a little freaked out with the timing of this cold, but I guess it's better now than in 2 weeks right before the marathon. (AAHHH, I can' t believe it's only 2 weekends away!) I've sent a few panicky emails to Coach and he's assured me that I will not lose fitness by missing some runs and that I need to trust the training. I'm trying, Coach, I'm trying!!! I'm actually scheduled to be off from work tomorrow so I'm hoping 2 days of sleeping and hydrating will knock this out of me. I have a 15 miler scheduled on Saturday that I need to be healthy for.
And on a completely unrelated note...are any of you watching Modern Family? Oh my gosh, this might be the best show of all time. After Seinfeld, of course.
19 comments:
How frustrating. But, if it is just a cold, you'll be fine.
Eeek, get well soon!
Isn't there some type of increased risk of colds during the latter part of marathon training/taper? Seems to me I was reading about that AFTER catching a cold about 4 week before my last marathon....
Hope you're feeling better!
It's taper time, you'll be fine!! Sending 'get better fastly' vibes your way though!
Feel better!
I have a marathon on Sunday, one I am hoping to BQ in and my co-worker came in this morning and told everyone she has a cold. Wouldn't you know, right after she said that I started sneezing and I have a headache! Ugh! I hope it's just the power of suggestion!
You'll be fine - you've done the work!
It is so much better to get sick now rather than further down the road. Rest up and get better. Take care of your body now so it takes care of you on marathon day.
So many people are sick right now. Sorry to hear it has caught up with you, too. Rest up and feel better! (And listen to your coach!)
Seems to be going around... I actually have a doctor's appointment in half an hour about a potential chest infection. Just when I sign up for another marathon :)
Hope you're on the mend soon! It's definitely better now than the week of the race.
Trust you coach and your training. I don't know how many stories I've heard of athletes getting sick just before a big race (including Olympians) and then going out and setting bigtime PRs, but it happens a lot. You've done the training, just get yourself healthy and I'm betting you will have a great race!
Listen to your very smart coach, he knows what he's talking about.
I'll be running Philly also and have been sick last Fri/Sat and then Mon/Tues. I got a short run in on Wed and then today was feeling better and ran 10 miles. You are going to be fine. I'm looking at 16 miles this weekend as well.
Good luck and try not to stress too much.
YES listen to your coach!! you will be fine, as long as you get healthy - now get some rest and get better SOON!!
OH NO!!! sorry to hear that you're sick, but yes, listen. Get over this now... and you'll be better for marathon day!
awwww feel better!! But yes so much better to have it now than in a few weeks, think of it as a body suggested taper
Immune systems are lower in taper time, but you have plenty of time to get on that start time. Rest is vital right now. Sending well wishes your way!
Hey Nez...I've been sick with a terrible cold for a week now. Hope you feel better soon. And yes, Modern Family is the best show ever!! We laugh for 30 mins EVERY week!!
M
Sorry to hear your sick so soon before your race. Rest and get healthy now so you can give it your all at the race.
Denise, I'm so sorry you're sick!! That stinks! But, as you said, better now than in 2 weeks.
Get better soon!!!!!!
Get well soon! Thank you for stopping by, I will be following your progress :) :)
Post a Comment