Thursday, January 21, 2010

Come Back Quads

I've mentioned it a few times but I recently have gotten back into lifting. I belonged to a gym up until a year ago when we moved and I lifted all the time. I love lifting, maybe even more than I love running. I love feeling that I'm getting stronger and I like the results you see from putting in a hard, consistent effort. These days, my lifting occurs in our basement with no fancy equipment other than free weights and resistance bands. While it's not the atmosphere I prefer, I'm making it work and know you can get results without the equipment, which is what matters. Since I went a while without lifting I've noticed some changes and loss of definition in several areas. My ass, for one, went back to being mush and I miss the natural line showing my quadriceps in my thigh. So, I've been doing some research of exercises I can do at home with the equipment I have on hand to get these legs back in shape! I came across an 8 week program that I'm going to try out. Shouldn't be too difficult to incorporate because you only need to do it twice a week. While I like to lift upper body 3 times a week, I usually keep leg workouts to 2 times because of all the running.

There are three exercises:
1) High bench step up
2) One leg squat (lunge position, with back leg raised on block/step)
3) One leg hops in place (lunge position, hop with front leg)

Weeks 1-2
1) 15 reps/no wt, 15 reps/no wt, 15 reps/no wt
2) 15 reps/no wt, 15 reps/no wt, 15 reps/no wt
3) 10 secs, 10 secs

Weeks 3-4
1) 15 reps/10%, 20 reps/10%, 10 reps/15%
2) 15 reps/5%, 20 reps/5%, 10 reps/10%
3) 20 secs, 20 secs

Weeks 5-6
1) 15 reps/10%, 10 reps/15%, 7 reps/20%
2) 15 reps/5%, 10 reps/10%, 7 reps/15%
3) 10 secs, 10 secs, 10 secs

Weeks 7-8
1) 25 reps/10%, 30 reps/10%, 20 reps/15%
2) 25 reps/5%, 30 reps/5%, 20 reps/10%
3) 30 secs, 30 secs

The percentages shown represent the percentage of body weight you add using weights while doing the exercise. The program, with detailed descriptions of each exercise can be found here. For those of you who work out at home, or at the gym without using machines, what exercises do you do?

Running update...I had a hard ladder workout this morning after lifting yesterday and I'm totally feeling it right now. But it's the good soreness, the kind that tells you that you worked hard and didn't wuss out. Tomorrow is an easy run of 3 miles and then Saturday I have a 17 miler. I love having the long runs on the weekend to look forward to again. Definitely my favorite run of the week!

14 comments:

Aron said...

ohhh that looks like an awesome workout!! i usually keep my leg workouts to a minimum too - but have been trying to mix some in there lately. i do lunges holding dumbells, and squats with a stability ball behind my back and weights in my hand. i like these though, i want to add them in!

have a great long run :) i am looking forward to them coming back too! i am up to 14 this weekend - YAY!

N.D. said...

I wish I could be consistent with lifting. I start and then never follow through. I love it too though. I wish I had a trainer!

Katie A. said...

I am so with you! I was really consistant over the summer with all my lifting. I went back to it the other day and couldn't believe how much strength I lost! Needless to say I am working hard to bring it back! Great workouts - thanks for sharing!
P.S. You still doing the P90X? I was thinking of getting it...what are your thoughts?

Anonymous said...

I want to start lifting soon too. I just need to get past that fear/embarrassment of a fat girl working with weights. I can't wait until I get to the point when I can say that 3 miles was my EASY run :)

Rookie on the Run said...

My first fitness-related love was lifting. I used to hate cardio workouts. I loved the way lifting made my body look... it seemed that my whole shape changed (for the better).

Now, I'm trying to get back into it. I focus more on my upper body and core. For my legs, I do sets for my hamstrings and inner thighs. I try to leave my quads and calves alone since they get a good workout while running.

Good luck with your new routine! It looks like a good one... especially since you can do it at home.

Shellyrm ~ just a country runner said...

Looks like a great workout! I wish I was disiplined enough to get back to a better cross training routine. I may print this out and put it up in my workout room. Maybe I'll do it, one day would be better than none!

saundra said...

I have a Body-scupting Bible for Women" book that I like to use. It has workouts for at-home workouts and gym workouts that can be completed in about 20 minutes. Your workout looks pretty interesting though, I will have to give it a try.

Julia said...

I'm like you; I might like lifting more than running! There's something about seeing those weights stacking up a bit more each time....
When I cut back on lifting to focus on running, my butt became mush as well, and now I'm trying to undo it! your plan sounds solid!

Marlene said...

I love that you are committed to a weight lifting routine without all the fancy equipment... maybe I can do that too! Thanks for sharing some of your exercise.

Enjoy the 17 tomorrow!

Abby said...

I'm always impressed with people who actually like to lift. I've hated it ever since I had to do it as a competitive swimmer in high school. Love the core work, but can't stand working with weights.

Enjoy the long run - should be a good weekend!

slowly growing old together said...

Thanks for the comment on the blog. So glad I checked-in with your blog today. I have been trying to lift/strength train from my basement, but have been SO inconsistent. My strength training has been that way for the past 10 years. I really like the plan you've selected and am going to join you. I'll start Monday (need to get organized!). Looking forward to reading updates about how you are doing. Stick with it!

Reading through your blogs, I've come to realize we have a lot in common. Looking forward to building a bloggie relationship with you...

Have a great weekend, Becky

Anonymous said...

I never use machines. I use weights and for legs I concentrate on lunges and squats. I love having awesome legs muscles- I bet you'll have those quads back in no time :)

Laurel said...

I used to lift ALL the time, about 5 days a week. I was in the best shape of my life then, even more than when I am running regularly. I weighted a bit more, but was about 3 sizes smaller than I normally am. I love what it does to my body.

Lara said...

You're motivating me to get a little more disciplined about what I do at the gym. We belong to the YMCA and I go over a few times a week, but the workouts are a variation on each other because I'm such a runner. Maybe I need to research this more.