I remember when I first looked at my training plan for Shamrock, I was a little intimidated. I wasn't sure if I would be able to handle the longer mid week runs before work and the speed work looked more intense than I was used to putting myself through. I remember I forwarded my schedule to Andy because I was so nervous about it but knew the fear was just because of the unknown. I went into this training so determined to train harder than I have in the past and to get the most out of every single workout. Now here I am, 9 weeks later and after a 22 miler on Saturday, I'm starting to taper. I'm usually not really ready to taper but this time around, I know I need it and I'm ok with it.
The 22 miles on Saturday went ok but my body was definitely tired. I could really tell that I just put in 4 hard weeks and while I was mentally ok, my body was a little sluggish. My running partner had a great day and if it wasn't for her, I know the run would have been pretty miserable. There were times where I felt like I wasn't moving at all and kept thinking, "just get to mile 17". Not sure why I pick these random mile markers to get to but this weekend it was mile 17 that would signify the run was almost over. The next 5 miles didn't tick away very quickly but they got done nonetheless and towards the end I could hear myself sighing. When I start to sigh, I know I've had enough!! We finished with an average pace of 9:05 which made me so happy considering 10 of those miles were done with lots of hills and I was feeling more than a little pooped.
So, now it's taper time. I'm looking forward to 3 weeks of taking care of myself and getting the rest I need for race day. It's a great feeling going into taper feeling you worked hard, you're prepared and over the top excited for race day. March 20th can't get here soon enough!
I capped off the week with a swim this morning then a nice easy recovery run. Now onto week 10 of training, here's my schedule for the week:
Mon - 4 mi, lift
Tues - 5 mi with 2 ladders at 6:58
Wed - cross train, lift
Thurs - 7 mi with 6 at tempo (7:35)
Fri - 4, cross train
Sat - 15 mi
Sun - swim
13 comments:
Congratulations on a successful training cycle!! You really rocked the mileage and workouts as well as cross-training... now rest up for the big day!!!
Sounds like you are ready! Enjoy the taper
woohoooo!! So excited for you, you are soo ready!
Enjoy your well deserved taper!
Will we see a rest day in that schedule over the next 3 weeks??
Congrats on a great 22! I have all the faith in the world that you're going to rock it! Enjoy the taper, you deserve it!
Embrace the taper! Sounds like a strong week!
Terrific pace! Enjoy your taper!
Congrats on an awesome training cycle!! This is going to be such an awesome race for you -- I can't wait to hear how it goes! How is your plantar fasciitis doing, by the way?
I moved to San Francisco from Minneapolis last August. I also lived in Wisconsin for roughly 15 years and Nebraska for a year. Lots and lots and lots of snow in those states. :) :)
xoxo,
A
you are so so so ready! I am so excited for you, congrats on a great cycle and try to enjoy taper :)
Love taper time. I too am in taper mode, and I am more then ready to rest and get my legs back, and ready for marathon morning. wahoo!
Great job with this training cycle. Sounds like you are ready to kick some Leprechaun booty.
You rocked it on Saturday, Sunny D! I was so proud of you knowing all the hard work you had just put in. Shamrock is in your back pocket!
Yeah- hopefully see you soon!!!
Post a Comment