This is my 2nd of 4 hard weeks of Shamrock training and after a successful week 1, I was looking forward to this week. Tuesday I upped my ladders and did 3 during my 10 miler at a 6:58 pace. By the time the 3rd ladder rolled around, I was a little pooped and this one took more effort, but I finished strong. And aside from a screaming sciatica, which is really bad lately, I felt great. When I took it down to an 8:30 pace to cool down, I realized how much has changed over the past month or so. The pace felt slow, almost too slow, and a little awkward. My legs wanted to go much faster...which is a really good feeling.
Yesterday I really wanted to ride the bike trainer but I was anxious about my tempo run today. Why are tempo runs so intimidating to me??? So instead of tiring out my legs, I decided to lift and ride the bike at the gym for a little bit. It's really hard to balance workouts lately to make sure I'm recovering and ready for my next hard workout while trying to incorporate cross training. I'm making it work but think it would be much easier if we didn't need easy/recovery days. Then I could fit in everything I wanted!
So today, I had 10 miles with 5 miles at tempo (7:40). From the second I started I was thinking it was going to be hard. When I realized I was psyching myself out I tried to push those thoughts out of my head. I started telling myself, "I got this" and "I can do this." After a little while of chanting in my head, I found myself cruising at a 7:40 pace and feeling good. I held this for the first 3 miles then upped the speed a bit for the last 2. While it definitely wasn't as hard as I was anticipating, I realized that I think tempo runs are boring. I like the faster pace but I much prefer the ladder work out.
As for the sciatica, I'm now sitting at my desk, hunched over in a stretch position which could easily be mistaken as me trying to push out a turd. Lovely site. But the good news is that we finally made it through an entire week without any snow or ice and I'm super excited about getting outside for my 20 miler this weekend. After 3 or 4 (I can't even remember now) straight weeks of long runs on the treadmill, I've about had it.
11 comments:
Great job on the run. I am still awaiting on a week without some snow or ice. :)
Ouch!! I had sciatic nerve prb when I was prego with baby #2 I would be walking then fall down on the floor from pain. Never experienced it running. Great run!! Speedy!!
I get so anxious about my tempo runs too and I'm always paranoid about having tired legs. There is just something daunting about sticking with that pretty-hard pace for so long. Awesome job!!!
I hope the sciatica gives you some relief.
Love the mental picture of that one! LOL!
Great job not psyching yourself out for the tempo! You DO got this! :)
I like how you worked "push a turd" into the post.
nice that andy hacked into my account to post the turd comment!
Sitting at a desk is horrible for me and my back... so I guess weird positions are warranted.
Yay for being outside again. I've had my first taste of consecutive outdoor runs this week too! Wahoo!
Great job on the run.
p.s. my word verification is dechafe, and that sounds like an actual word I might need to add to my vocabulary.
I'm definitely way too slow for you these days :)
"Pushing out a turd." That's the most eloquent phrasing I've heard all day. :)
Good job on the run.
Post a Comment