Monday, August 22, 2011

Getting Ahead Of Myself

I really want to do a 5k or two once I get past these last few weeks of half Ironman training and the race itself. My paces have been coming really naturally lately and I'm dying to see what I could do with an all out effort. Funny that I'm running so much less than what I'm used to yet my paces are getting better and I finish each run feeling like it was such a quality workout. No more junk miles over here!! So, after I followed up my hour swim this morning with 7.5 miles, where I ran ladders at a 7:00 min/mi pace and felt like it was nothing, I decided it was time to register for that 5k. But first, I needed to know where I could fit it in during marathon training. And since I didn't have a training plan for Reggae put together, I got to work!!

I've never before enjoyed putting a plan together. In fact, I despised it and went back to my running coach time and time again for help and guidance. But that wasn't the case today. I took the plan I used for Shamrock, modified it a bit, and produced 12 kick ass weeks of training. While I was putting it together I couldn't help but think of all the hard work I put into training for Shamrock. I worked so hard, pushing the paces even more than I needed to for my 3:35 goal, and then was knocked on my butt the week of the race due to the flu. Yes, I still got my 3:35 finish, but I knew going into that race, during the race and after the race that I had much, much more in me. And it's been killing me ever since.

I got really excited today thinking about marathon training and the possibilities at Reggae. Maybe because I know my capabilities when it comes to running. I'm so much more confident with running and know that's why I'm eager to get back to marathons. But right now I can't get ahead of myself. I need to stay focused on this little 70.3 I have in 3 weeks. Once I have this race under my belt, I know the confidence will be there with triathlons, too. It's just the unknown distance right now hanging over my head, and the unknown can be a little scary.

But as I head into my final 2 hard weeks of training, I'm feeling great. I have a brick this Saturday (3:30 bike, 1:30 run) that's going to put me in my place and I'm actually excited for it. It's going to be the closest I'll get to race day and I'm looking forward to pushing through and finishing it feeling strong and confident. So no more talk about marathons until I cross the finish line on September 10th and am able to say...I am *half* of an Ironman!

1 comment:

My Life said...

I was so nervous going into my HIM, but completely utterly elated when I finished. I was a runner too, so putting all the elements of a triathlon together seemed scary. The feeling of finishing easily surpassed the high of my first marathon. :) You are really rocking your training & I think you are going to have an amazing race. And I sooo hope you are hooked. It'd be fun to read about your Full training ;). Like I said on twitter, your training for a half is rivaling mine for a full... you could handle it. IMFL 2012?! IMOO?