When I signed up for the half Ironman, I had no idea what I was getting myself into. I have a habit of doing that; just like when I signed up for the 50 miler after doing just one marathon. Nothing like jumping right in and just doing it. I don't like giving myself the option of not doing it. Once it's on the schedule, I know I'll do what it takes to get me across the finish line. And now, after what seems like the shortest summer of my life, I'm only a week and a half away from that finish line I've been thinking about for over 4 months.
I've definitely had my ups and downs during this training and I think I actually learned a few things about myself along the way. I mean, how could I have not? I've spent countless hours by myself over the past few months. Which has probably been the hardest part of this all. I am absolutely fine heading out for a long run by myself and most times when I'm alone, I enjoy the quiet time. But I'm not the one to turn down the opportunity to run with friends and I've missed that so much this summer. Maybe because my past 2 summers were spent attached to the hip of a friend as we trained for ultras, conquering not only back to back long runs but awesome 30+ mile runs together.
Even though I like the company, I know these solo monster bricks I did through training will serve me well on race day when I'm out there alone. I had my second big brick this past Saturday and due to the hurricane, I played it safe and did 3.5 hours on the trainer. Part of me is worried I took the easy way out by doing it on the trainer but after 77 miles, a shredded rear tire, and a pool of sweat on the floor, I'm hoping I made it worth my while. Time flew by on the trainer thanks to a Married With Children marathon and before I knew it I was heading out the door for a long run. I had an hour and half on the schedule and started off feeling great, legs ready to move. But within a few miles, the humidity got the best of me and I started to fade. I held on the best I could and finished up with 12 miles and between 5 - 5.5 hours of training.
Surprisingly, I felt GREAT after the workout despite horrific chafing that kept me wincing most of the day/night. I think I might have finally nailed my nutrition and found something that works for me. It was the first time in a very long time I didn't have stomach issues or feel exhausted afterwards. I didn't even take a nap and for anyone that knows me, that's a pretty big deal!
So, I'm finishing up this last big week before I slow down for a week of tapering. Physically I feel great and the last 2 big weeks of training I've felt my best. I was most scared of these two weeks but they weren't nearly as bad as I had envisioned when I first saw my schedule. And with that, it's given me a glimmer of hope that I might be able to tackle a *slightly* bigger goal if I choose to go that way.
11 comments:
Hmmm what could that goal be? :)
Congrats on making it through some big workouts and two huge weeks!! I have nothing but confidence in you... you're leading the way for me. :D
P.S. would love to know what has been working for you in terms of nutrition.
So proud of you girl, I knew you'd get through this just fine. Can't wait to read that race report where you kicked total butt!
That's a monster brick--don't beat yourself up for not feeling great on the run. I used to have a tri coach (back in the day) and even during full IM training, my run time for a brick was never longer than an hour, fwiw.
That said--you are more than ready for this challenge!
don't you just love that feeling? looking at the numbers and knowing you have trained is a great feeling. well done!!
If you can endure 3.5 hours on the trainer watching MWC, you are ALL SET for a half!! lol
That is a mighty big brick--my biggest was a 60 mile ride/6 mile run...you will do GREAT!
Best wishes for an amazing race!!
It sounds like you're going to be in an incredible place for the race - so exciting! You've earned it :)
You are going to freaking kill this thing. When i did my 70.3 my training was crap. i did 2 long rides on my bike, 35 miles and 58 miles and i ran 9 miles once and 12 miles once. That was it. I did 5:37. I think when you have the endurance base already and you have running as a strong point, i think it makes for a KILLER race. You are going to love it!! It goes by so much faster than a marathon! Can't wait to read your post afterwards! Awesome job!!!!!!
I did the same thing with being on the trainer, minus the flat, that happened before I started! You're going to do great for your half-iron. I can't wait to read about it!
Wow! That's an incredible brick! Nice work!
seriously you are blowing my mind with these workouts. I love your dedication, though it's no surprise after seeing you do so amazing on the marathons
Post a Comment