After a week off work and a long weekend away with friends, I started this week feeling more exhausted than I did before my time off!! I had high hopes of catching up on sleep and napping my afternoons away while I was off but that didn't happen. I was on the go pretty much all week before I left town then racked up late nights of having too much fun. While the time away was fun and totally worth it, I definitely can't handle late nights and cocktails like I used to. And I now know there won't be any crazy trips during peak training next year; I'll save it for after race season.
I've been feeling a little sluggish during my workouts this week, but I'm getting them done. I have 5 big weeks until my 70.3 and I'm determined bounce back after all the debauchery this weekend and stay focused. Thankfully, I can finally report something positive about the pool and swimming so that's got me really excited. Since the Olympic Tri a little over a week ago, my pool sessions have been great. Prior to the race I was struggling mentally and dreaded every time I had to swim. But since the Olympic, things have completely changed. My first swim went so well I thought it was just due to the post race high, but every pool workout since then has gone equally as well. I'm not dreading the time in the pool and time doesn't seem to stand still anymore. On top of that, I used to stop for a quick water break/stretch (aka mental break) every few hundred yards but now I might stop once to grab a drink and then get right back to it.
I think I was so scared of the unknown and whether or not I could do it that I had myself psyched out. Standing on the beach before the Olympic I seriously didn't think I could swim that far. Now that I did it, without freaking out, I feel 100% confident about the swim for the 70.3. If I can swim .9 miles, I can definitely swim 1.2 miles. And knowing that makes the pool, dare I say, enjoyable.
I have a Sprint Tri this weekend that I'm really excited for. Originally I signed up for this so I'd have one more chance at an open water swim before September in case I panicked at the Olympic. But now that I know I'm good to go, I'm looking forward to it and seeing what I can do! It's the best feeling when you conquer a fear.
8 comments:
Soooo glad you are feeling much better about swimming after the race - it gave you the confidence you needed! Keep rocking those swims!!
Oh, and WELCOME BACK! Vacation/debauchery is awesome but I always pay for it dearly. :S
Great job on fear conquered!!! Now you can work on your fear of oil based salad dressings!
Tell the pool who's in charge! Good for you. And it's a very doable jump from Oly to 1/2 when it comes to the swim--you've so got it!
That's so awesome Denise - yay!!
As a swimmer, this is especially great to hear! I love when people conquer the fear of water- all new doors open up!!!!
It was clear when we had coffee how pumped you are for this race. I'm glad you conquered the fear, but I have to say, even if it sneaks up on you again on race day, I have no doubt that you're going to blow this HIM out of the water!
You go! It's gotta be tough to train while others party, especially since its a goal so few can understand. Celebrate hard after the race- it will be worth it
Post a Comment