My 11 year old nephew recently had an assignment to sit in the school courtyard and write a poem about what he saw. Turns out, his poem was so good it was selected to be published in a book with all children's writings!!! He recently told me he wanted to be an architect or do something with computer science, but I think we have a writer on our hands. I'm so proud of you, Nate!!!
A lone leaf
Paler than the palm
Of my hand
Lays in the sunlight
Trying to get a good tan
The few leaves that
Are still on trees
Are shivering
Holding on for dear life
Barely resisting the soft breeze
My paper is a hummingbird
Flapping frantically but failing
To pry itself out of my clipboard's iron grip
The slow breeze is
Softer than
A peacock's feather
But colder than
My sister's hands
After she played with ice
The white mum's leaves are shaking
Like a little kid who just had a nightmare
Paler than the palm
Of my hand
Lays in the sunlight
Trying to get a good tan
The few leaves that
Are still on trees
Are shivering
Holding on for dear life
Barely resisting the soft breeze
My paper is a hummingbird
Flapping frantically but failing
To pry itself out of my clipboard's iron grip
The slow breeze is
Softer than
A peacock's feather
But colder than
My sister's hands
After she played with ice
The white mum's leaves are shaking
Like a little kid who just had a nightmare
-Nate W.
Here's the little poet holding his sister, Grace.
*I'm going to stick around for a while longer, just think I need a break. I'm a little overwhelmed lately with all that I have going on and blogging has just felt like a chore. But I'm not ready to stop bothering all of you just yet...

14 comments:
Wow - that kid has talent! I understand the blog thing. I debate stopping all the time. I tend to feel like I say the same things over and over again. Does anyone really want to hear about my swim sets except maybe my Dad? HA HA... I think it does have to do with what is going on in your life and the blog feels like just one more thing on the "to do" list. Take a break, you'll be back and we will be here :)
I haven't been blogging as long as you and I go through that!! I think it's normal. (aka mamarunsbarefoot)
An 11-year-old wrote that? Wow, He's really good!
Maybe you can use your blog to be his publicist ;-)
Whether or not you're reading and writing, I'm looking forward to seeing you in person soon, and hopefully getting in some long runs together this fall.
Awesome poem!
You CANNOT leave! Whose blog am I going to look at when I am whining about my long runs and see that you are running like 50 and then tell myself to suck it up and press on?!? Take a break, but don't leave! :)
Don't leave!! I get the blog thing especially if there is other stuff going on! Take a break....still be here when you get back!
Great poem!!!
That is a beautiful poem!!! I hope he continues to write even while he becomes the world's greatest architect! :)
Whatever you decide to do with the blog you know we will all support you, although I hope you leave it up and visit us from time to time. :) I'm honestly struggling with the same issue, especially now that I feel like I will have nothing to contribute for a good long while. Thanks again for your email, it meant a lot. xoxo
Uhhhh, a kid wrote that poem??? Serious talent (and this is coming from someone who has a degree in writing!!).
I hear you on the blogland thing. I have been "feeling it" less & less lately. All I ever write about are races anymore because my life is that unexciting. Then add to the fact that mine's a RUNNING blog, and there's even less to say unless I'm really champing at the bit. Oh well. I figure I'll keep my blog around, but settle on the fact its ok to write once a month (or do giveaways). It's hard to keep things fresh, for sure.
That child is brilliant!!!! :) He was actually only 10 when he wrote it :)
I hear you on the blog! Going through it myself over the last few months. enjoy the break!
I have been going through the same thing with blogging- which I have shared a few times. For some reason I don't stop but I still feel like I have nothing of value to say. I have been posting less and less, and losing readers because of it- but at the end of the day the blog ends where it started...with me. If you are still doing it for you, that is enough reason to stick with it!
If you do decide to stop blogging, don't forget to keep emailing :)
That is beautiful! Congrats to your nephew!
I hear you on blogging getting to be overwhelming at times. When it feels like a chore, a break is in order. We'll keep in touch in other ways for now anyway. ;)
You may feel like you have nothing to say, but you certainly do.
You've been climbing the running ladder, including that fab 3:35 marathon and you've got plenty left to do, and none of that even mentions your budding triathlon career.
Blogging can be a drag, but it's great for looking back when a simple training log doesn't allow enough detail.
Plus you still have to poop your pants on the bike and swim.
And that's a very pretty poem, talented kid.
i think we all go through periods of why on earth am i doing this :) so no worries, we're here when you are
great poem!!! i used to love to write poetry as a kid
What a poem! Good for him.
I totally understand the blogging thing. I'm up and down on it. sometimes love it, sometimes thing it sucks too much of my energy. But, I keep at it. Glad you're going to keep blogging. I really enjoy reading about your training and how well you do in your races!
Post a Comment