The Ultra is this Saturday. While it wasn't my goal race for the year, I'm feeling really sad that I'm not running it this weekend. I had these miles in me and I want to be a part of the day. I'm tearing up just thinking about it...it really sucks to be sidelined. I'm frustrated because physically I was feeling so much better during the long training runs this year then last year and I knew I was in shape for a good race. On top of this, I loved what the endurance did for me in terms of fall marathon training last year and wanted to build off that again this year. Now I feel like I'm going to be scrambling to get where I want to be for Philly marathon.
Speaking of the fall, I have a lot I want to do but I'm scared to sign up until I know I'm going to be ok to run. As of right now I'm already signed up for the Philly Rock-n-Roll half in September and the Philly marathon in November. Both of these are important goal races for me and I'm just hoping and praying I'm able to race them. In addition to these, I want to run Lehigh Valley half, Asbury Park marathon, Rehoboth marathon and a few shorter distances in between.
I have another 2 weeks in the boot and I'm already nervous about my first attempt at running. The times I've had the boot off and have gone up and down the stairs, I analyze every little feeling I have; worried I'm going to feel that pain again. Thankfully, I haven't had the pain I was experiencing but I'm still cautious and worried with every step I take.
So, yea, I'm feeling a little sorry for myself today. I'm still working out as much as I can between lifting, swimming, biking and the elliptical but it just doesn't cut it. I miss being outside. I miss my runs. I miss my running buddies. And with running I don't have to worry about a fat man in a Speedo swimming into me because he can't seem to follow the lane markers.
15 comments:
Feeling sorry for yourself now and then is allowed. You are grieving in a way, you know. It is all part of the process.
btw- I will not be at bomf...lots of reasons, lots of craziness! Hopefully though, one of these days, we will meet up!
You have an impressive schedule lined up, so you're doing the right thing.
Your well-rested Achilles will love you.
And you rocked the 20in24 last year, if you're ever feeling down just look at your pic.
You'll be marathoning, ultramarathoning, (triathloning?) for years to come.
I totally get where you are coming from. You've kept in great shape, though, which will carry you far when you can get back to running. Just be very, very careful on your return and you'll make the progress you need!
If you have to deal with a fat man in a speedo while running, you've got a whole different set of issues to deal with :)
Hope that achilles is getting stronger every day. Those 2 weeks will be up before you know it. Sending healing vibes your way.
I'm running the Philly Rock & roll!!
It sounds like you've got a lot of races on the schedule already, so just focus on getting better and take it one race at a time!
Returning from an injury is always tough because you are HYPER aware of the smallest feelings and twinges. I hope you have a SMOOTH and QUICK return to the sport you love!
Hope you're not too bummed this weekend... it sucks for sure, but you still have some great races ahead of you this year!
A few tears is okay. I would be uber bummed about missing a race. You've kept in excellent shape and I think you will in a good place when you can start running again!
Thinking of you through all of this girl. You'll get back to exactly where you want to be in no time. Don't worry so much about the ground beneath your feet, you'll miss the big ol' door at the end of the hallway :)
Ronnie
Yeah, no fun missing out on the big race. I think you'll be ready to go for the Philly races though. You're awesome. :)
Feel better. Remember, it is better to be sidelined for two weeks than twelve or even twenty. I got knocked out of an event due to an injury and I decided to cheer on the runners. It made me feel good and less sorry for myself. I loved watching the competition of the front runners and the good spirits of the back of the pack. I got to wonder about the runners' motivation and just enjoy the accomplishments of everyone else.
it sounds like a full schedule already so maybe you could take it easy and see how you feel in a few weeks. Hang in there!
It’s a real bummer but you’ll get through strong. Focus on your long term goals. That helps for me. Good luck, two weeks ill fly past.
Hang in.....you'll just come back stronger...
hang in there girlie, i would be feeling the same way. you have had a great attitude and its ok to get down every now and again... BUT you will be back very soon and stronger than ever.
It is such a bummer. My hope is that this time off will help you totally rock your fall races!
Post a Comment