Thursday, July 8, 2010

Give it a Tri?

I had my second Shock Wave therapy appointment yesterday and got the ok to start doing the elliptical. I have to do it based on how it feels so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I have no pain tomorrow after I give it a shot. It looks there's improvement and the few times I've gone up and down the stairs without the boot on I haven't had pain so we're moving in the right direction!!

This injury has really gotten me thinking. While I was running all the time, I was dying to find some time to cross train and keep up with my lifting. Lifting has and always will be my favorite aspect of working out. I went a year without it and my body (and mind) totally suffered. As soon as I made time for it by cutting my runs back to 5 times a week, my body started feeling so much better. It felt great to work the muscles that are neglected when only running and it was fun to change up my routine a bit. Well now I have all the time in the world to cross train/lift and I have to say, I like it. Don't get me wrong, I'm DYING to go for a run, but I'm also appreciating the extra time I have to focus on other stuff. Not only have I started swimming, but I've been consistent with the lifting getting in at least 3 sessions a week. My body responds well to lifting and I'm finally getting my legs back! My butt, that's another story but at least my quads are looking better!!

Anyway, I think I finally realized that I don't want to be just a runner. Now this doesn't mean I don't want to keep up with racing, going after those PRs and that mararthon maniac status. It just means that I want to be an athlete good at multiple sports with overall fitness. I want to see what other areas I can excel at, what I'm not good at, and what will challenge me. Does anyone see where I'm going with this (besides Mel and Jill)? I think I'm going to test out the waters in 2011 and sign up for a few Triathlons. I started looking last night and actually had myself so overwhelmed that I couldn't sleep. It's a whole new world to me, but then again, so was running. I didn't think I could do that and I ended up following up my first marathon with a 50 mile Ultra...I know I can tackle this!

Now I just have to get over my fear of riding a bike on the road. Oh, and I have to buy a bike. There's that, too. :-)

23 comments:

Tricia said...

very exciting!

Michelle said...

Sign me up for the trip to Hawaii to watch you in the IronMan!!

Mel-2nd Chances said...

You know I'm over the top giddy reading this post, right? ;))

ShutUpandRun said...

That sounds like a great plan. What a way to xtrain, stay healthy and do some of the other activities you love.

Anonymous said...

I think it is a great idea! I keep thinking that I have to start x training as well because I believe your body just acclimates to running when you do it all the time so you have to shake it up a bit. But I am finding it hard to keep up the mileage per week and fitting in the other stuff.

Marlene said...

I enjoyed reading your chatter with Mel on FB yesterday. ;) Sounds like a good plan to be a more well-rounded athlete. Looking forward to hearing more about what you decide!

misszippy said...

Triathlons are so much fun and they do help relieve some of that pounding. Sounds like a good move!

joyRuN said...

You go for it, girl!

If you're ready for some practice in the ocean, we meet at Longport beach 8am on Sundays :)

Anonymous said...

You know I am here for EVERY and ALL questions you have!!!

My sincere advice though...don't just jump in and do an IM...get used to the distances and then do an IM. I had a friend, in one summer he did a sprint, an oly and an IM. Totally possible and it is a good way to test the waters! Literally!

Scott McMurtrey said...

I've been intrigued about doing an Ironman. Just don't want to buy a bike and swim gear and train without my dog.

Iron Mike said...

Congrats on your steady improvement.

I think you'll fit into the Tri world very well. You've already proven that you are crazy.

And now you can poop yourself on a bike or in a large body of water.
Sounds great!

Felice Devine said...

Very cool! I bet you would rock the tri world.

RunToTheFinish said...

I think this is where I've been leaning too...mostly due to the new crazy weather in my life. But seriously the bike thing is my issue! First I'm scared, second a road bike is like bookoo bucks...so I'll be starting out with my sad little mountain bike

N.D. said...

I'm in the same place! so you'll have to tell me where you've been looking and if you've found any good local ones! I haven't started looking yet.

Johann said...

Sounds good and also a great way to take the positive from your situation. Good luck with everything!

Middle Name Marie said...

Sounds like a great plan to TRI (haha). I have often considered triathlons, but I to need a bike. Good luck! I can't wait to read about your new endeavor!

Shane said...

Go for it! Dewey Beach Tri in September is a great first-timer event. And the bike is shorter than traditional sprint triathlons - only 7.5 miles

Slow and Sweaty said...

Wow, very inspirational! I'm just trying not to be overwhelmed by running, but I think you make an excellent point about maintaining overall body fitness no matter what the sport

Abby said...

Very exciting! I haven't done a ton in the way of tri`s (just a sprint and the ironman), but it was definitely a nice change of pace - and some of the training is pretty similar to adventure racing, so let me know if you ever want to link up for a ride or a brick!!

Bethany + Ryan said...

Hi Denise, you can ride a bike on the road. Be like a kid, dont think about it, just do it. My rule is to stick to roads that have a 40pmh speed limit or less (not that that means much) i also ride early and sometimes will ride for 20 min before a car passes me. Start with an entry level road bike and get comfy first. Once u r comfy then get the shoes and clip in. Just take it slow, baby steps. Its a lot of fun and is totally up ur ally! You can go for a 3 hr bike ride and get in that long endurance workout and feel 100 percent fine after. Its a great workout.just take it easy, dont get the shoes right away and dont plan on riding too fast right away. You're missing out my friend! You will love tris! They r easy to train for and recovery is quick. Most of them are so short (to ppl like us) so u can sign up for one last minute or bang one out on the side without any interuptions to ur running sched. You'll love it!!!! Go for it!!!!

Jamie said...

very cool! how great some good came out of this injury by helping you find that you want to incorporate more into being healthy!

Anonymous said...

I ducked as I saw that coming - welcome to the tri world.

Jill said...

I think the TRI would be a great change for you...great idea! Time to start googling bikes?? :)