I feel like I'm in limbo right now. I'm out of the boot but not back to running. Well, not running what I want to be running anyway. I'm only allowed to do one mile at a time this week and so far I've done a whopping 3 miles. It's not much but so far it's been pain free so I'm ecstatic about that.
I talked to my doctor yesterday and next week I can add a 2 mile run two times during the week and the week after that, two 3 mile runs. Come August 8th, I can do a 5 mile run, as long as everything is going well. I signed up for a 5k on August 22nd and while I've been advised by the doctor to not go all out and race this, I can put a hard effort into it. Our goal is to have me at 45-50 miles a week by the end of August, which happens to be exactly 12 weeks until Philly marathon. I have to be honest, I'm not very confident about racing Philly this year. I'm not sure I like the idea of a 12 week plan, especially coming off an injury with a month off of running. Not that my body couldn't handle it, but I already have doubts so my mental game is already off. I also hate that I lost a lot of my Ultra training and don't have that endurance to build off of for the race. I know a lot of people don't do an Ultra before training for a marathon but I did that last year and loved what I gained both physically and mentally leading up to Philly.
But I do have a month to go so we'll see how I feel come the end of August. August is all about getting me back out there and getting my schedule back on track. I worked out all but 4 days while I was in the boot but my schedule has been all out of wack. On top of it, we've been on the go non stop all summer and I'm ready to slow down a bit and get back into racing shape. We leave for vacation with friends tomorrow morning and while I'm beyond excited, I'm ready to get it over with so I can focus on being good again. I even went as far as cancelling 2 weekends of plans in August so I don't keep sabotaging my efforts.
I hope everyone has a great weekend. I'm heading to the shore tomorrow morning. Beach by day, happy hour on the bay, shenanigans by night. It's a rough life I live...
13 comments:
I find this part to be the worst. I have been "healed" since May but I am still only averaging like 12-15 miles a week! My longest run, 5 miles! It is tough getting back into it but you are awesome (and a much better runner than I) and you will be back to your super running in no time!!! Just keep swimming Denise- you'll get there!
Looks like you've had a rough time :( But, you are on the up side and recovering so that's great! It's tough getting back into running shape after being off for injury. I'm just now building my mileage up from being off and it's not easy but just keep working :) You will do great!
I have faith you will do just fine. 12 weeks is just fine - even with a one month break. You had a great base before and unless you became a total slob the whole time you have nothing to worry about. Yes, it's not ideal, but you will do great - you have determination on your side!
Have a blast at the "shore" (sorry, here in CA that cracks us up!) and enjoy your getaway!
Rough life for sure! As long as the runs are pain free. It's looking good.
Your doctor's giving you WAAAAY more input than mine, so I'll be following your recovery plan closely ;)
Are you coming to OC? I need a swim buddy.
12 weeks is PLENTY of time!!!! you have enough experience, don't even worry about 12 weeks!! you can PR with 12 weeks of 30-40 miles a week if you had to. i have the utmost confidence in you!! i can't even imagine how frustrated you are right now but just keep remembering the huge favor you are doing your body right now, you gotta ease back into it, it's the only way to ensure that it never happens again. hang in there! and don't write off a Philly PR just yet, you'll get there!! I know you will, i'm not just saying this, i KNOW you will!!
btw, LOOOVED the vows Andy wrote!! So amazingly sweet!! major kudos to him. (don't think i commented on that post yet, if i did already then oops!)
To an observer anyway, it seemed like your time in the boot went by pretty quickly, especially with your tales of crosstraining.
I'm sure it will be the same case for your low mileage weeks.
In the meanwhile, you're demonstrating excellent discipline, a good example for all of us.
You have a very understanding doctor, who it sounds like is really trying to get you where you need to be safely. It's so hard not knowing what will happen with an injury (or the rest of life!) but I hope if goes well.
At least if you can't be running you can be at the shore!
I can relate! Hubs and I have kind of the same attitude about a camping getaway this weekend (long weekend in Ontario). I am sooo looking forward to it, but I also know it will be BINGE FEST 2010 and in many ways, I am looking forward to getting and STAYING on track as of next week.
Awesome on those pain free miles. You'll forget all about this minor setback in a few more weeks when you are rocking the mileage again.
Enjoy your getaway!!!
Totally familiar with this one. Working your way back is really hard, especially from a lingering overuse injury. Hopefully a few more weekends at the shore this summer will help pass the time - enjoy the waves!
Your doctor sounds like an excellent guy :) Try not to worry too much. It will all work out how it is suppose to and you'll know more about what you want in a couple weeks when you are running more (and pain free!)
Have a great vacay!
Once your mileage is back up at the end of August, hopefully your mind will be there, too. You know you have it in you -- it is just hard to remember that when you can only run so few miles.
Have fun this weekend!
you'll be back in no time - this is hard!
Post a Comment