Six years ago today Andy and I got married on the beach in Jamaica. I can't believe how fast the time has gone!! Granted, we've kept ourselves busy over the years from me moving to MI, Andy getting his MBA, moving back to PA, renovating a house, moving again....there haven't been many dull moments. But I have to say, the past six years have been the best years of my life. It was a bumpy road finding the person I wanted to spend the rest of my life with, but when I stumbled upon Andy, I knew immediately I hit the jackpot. I couldn't have asked for a more supportive, loving person to spend every day with and I can't imagine my life without him.
There has been one thing I've felt guilty about over the years, though. I was pretty dead set on writing our own vows because the last thing I wanted to do was regurgitate some words fed to me by some person who didn't know a thing about us. It took some convincing and begging and pleading but I finally got Andy to agree to this. He teased me for weeks leading up the wedding that he was writing a rap for me and would sing, "My name is Andy and I love Big D." I, on the other hand, spent hours thinking about the perfect thing to say and the best way to say it. But I got so freaked out on the morning of the wedding I ended up scribbling some notes on the corner of a piece of paper that said something along the lines of "I'm happy I have you. I love you." Seriously, they were that bad. I figured I'd be ok though because I wasn't expecting Andy to take this little vow writing thing very serious. So imagine my surprise when teary eyed (ok, bawling) Andy unfolded an 8 x 11 piece of paper with his vows typed up!
Because I love reading them, I'm going to share (or bore) bits and pieces with all of you!! Yes, there was a lot more than what's below. :-)
"When I sat down to write my wedding vows I struggled, like I suppose most men do in this situation, to find the words to describe my love for you. I felt inarticulate. Everything I wrote came out "me Tarzan, you Jane." Then it dawned on me that "Tarzan of the Apes" was one of literature's great love stories and that the symbolism of an apelike guy and a beautiful woman swinging off into the wild jungle is probably appropriate for this union.
In the scene where they first meet, Tarzan tells Jane, "I am Tarzan of the Apes. I want you. I am yours. You are mine. We will live here together always in my house. I will bring you the best fruits, the tenderest deer, the finest meats that roam the jungle. I will hunt for you. I am the greatest of the jungle hunters. I will fight for you. I am the mightiest of the jungle fighters. When you see this you will know that it is for you and that Tarzan of the Apes loves you."
Denise, I promise to love you when you feel unlovable, to support you when you feel alone, to cry with you when you are disappointed, to laugh with you when you are joyful, to challenge you when you feel content, to be courageous for you when you are not feeling brave and to dream with you about the adventure of our life together.
To you alone I pledge my heart, my life and my love.
Denise, I'm so thrilled that you've chosen to marry me, that we're going to grab this vine, swing off into this jungle, and make a life together. You've taught me so much and brought me so much joy and beauty and I promise to do my best for you.
I want you. I am yours. You are mine. We will live here together always in my house. When you see this you will know that it is for you and that Andy Terry loves you."
Andy, I can only hope that over the years I've made up for what I did not say on the beach 6 years ago. I appreciate every single second I have with you and you are the best thing that ever happened to me. You are a wondeful husband and my best friend. Thank you for your unwavering support, your undying love and for living every day by the vows you took. Here's to many, many more.
23 comments:
I love the Tarzan analogy. So spot on. You've got a great guy there. Congrats on the anniversary!
Can we clone him?? Cause I need some of THAT in my life!!!
I started off thinking, "OMG, he's talking about Tarzan on his wedding day!" Then, ended up crying! Happy Anniversary!!!! Love you guys!
Love it! And congrats on 6 years of marriage!!
I'm all teary eyed over here! You are the sweetest couple. Happy 6th Anniversary - here's to the next 60!
Very sweet...Happy Anniversary!!
I love it! Congratulations on 6 years!
I had the same sort of thing with my husband, except that we didn't write our vows, but when he said the pre-written ones, he said them with so much conviction that I was taken aback and really wanted to just curl up and weep right there! Instead, I stood there with a goofy look on my face. Ah, to be a bride.
Congrats! Glad you've found your soulmate. Wait until your 18th anniversary - the time goes fast!
I'm about to get married myself in 4 months, and your post brings me so much happiness.
I adore this post! Congrats on 6 years of marriage!
So that's why he loves meat so much!!
That's the sweetest thing ever. Happy Anniversary!
Happy Anniversary!! What a sweet husband you have. :)
That is so sweet!
and Congrats!
That's really nice that he took the time to do it right. I'm glad you realize how lucky you are. Congrats on you anniversary.
Those were some VERY sweet words!
Congratulations on six years! You've definitely got a good one there. How did you guys meet?
(And I'm a little bit late, but very glad to hear the mile went well!!)
Thank you for sharing, so touching! So Romantic. Hubby and I celebrate 7 years next week!!
We all strive for what you have someday... God blessed you and may the future continue to be as bright as this day.
Happy Anniversary!!! That is sooo sweet :)
Awwww. too cute!
so cute!!!
happy (very) belated anniversary!!! :)
Post a Comment