"In such a funk, struggling through workouts, have a headache and want to cry"
My tweet first thing this morning. After I missed my swim* and struggled through my bike workout both physically and mentally. Even had to fight back tears when Andy came down to the basement to see how I was feeling. But I pushed through and ended up with a solid workout of intervals.
Two more months to go. Or as a good friend told me, "8 weeks...because it sounds shorter." Which it does. But I'm not sure if that helps because then I feel the panic of it being here so soon. Which I know it will be. In fact, this week the dreams started and two nights in a row I've had very vivid dreams of race day. I think how I'm feeling has a lot has to do with worrying about the big workouts I have coming up. I need to keep repeating, "one day at a time."
This past weekend I rode 90 miles, by myself, and it was a pretty big deal for me. My last 90 mile ride got screwed up because of weather and half of it was done on the trainer. So this was the furthest I have gone outside. The ride went really well but I'd by lying if I said I wasn't exhausted after it. I had to deal with a lot of wind (which is good practice for IMFL) and since I ride solo, I didn't have anyone to pull for me to give me a little break. It was the first time all summer I wished I had company out there. My legs were burning by the time I was done and I was a little sore in my back and arms from being in aero for that long. After laying around for a little bit, I managed to go to the pool for an easy swim afterwards and it really helped loosen things up. The following morning I pushed through a 16 mile run and definitely could tell I had worked hard the day before.
Coming up this weekend I have a 96 mile ride and a 17 mile run the next day. Of course it's been beautiful all week but on Saturday it's going to be 92 degrees with "oppressive humidity." Wheee, I can't wait. I'm a little anxious about this ride but I can't say exactly why. Maybe because it's so close to 100 and that just seems huge?? I dunno. But while I might not know why I'm nervous about it, I do know that I'll get it done.
65 days to go...
*will make up swim tonight, I refuse to miss workouts for no reason. I'll save missed workouts for when I'm sick or completely broken and really need a rest day.
7 comments:
Those feelings are perfect. That is exactly how you should be feeling with 65 days to go. If you didn't feel this way then something would be wrong.
These few weeks are what separate the men/ladies from the boys/girls. You will get through them and come out the other side stronger than how you went in.
Remember that these are training rides and not races so just get through the miles as best as you can. When you go through taper your legs will respond and your mind will know that you can do anything.
If you are 65 days then that means I am 79 days.....Yee-Haa!
Wow, only two more months!
Oh I am SO with you, just less than 6 weeks from the Chicago marathon. Listen to your body, and know how strong you truly are!
You'll be fine, D
"Oppressive" Humidity - classic. Oppressing us from enjoying the outdoors for sure. Fight back with a lot of liquid and you will be fine!
read mama simmons blog for inspiration!!
mamasimmons.com
hang in there!
MOTIVATE!!! Great post!
Drew
www.fullcontacttriathlete.com
www.borrowedfaith.com
Post a Comment