Friday, July 27, 2012

NJ State Oly Tri - Race Report

This past Sunday I did the NJ State Olympic Tri.  Last year this was my second tri and while this year was suppose to be nothing more than a brick workout, I was curious to see if there would be any improvement compared to last year. Specifically, I was hoping to see improvement in the swim.

The day before was anything but how I normally spend the day before a race or big workout. My grandmother passed away and after the week we had in the days leading up to her death, I didn't know if I'd have the energy to even make it to the start line. After a not so good night sleep though, I woke up feeling pretty good and we headed to NJ.

Swim:
Felt great! Even before the start, looking out at the course which freaked me out and sent me running to the port o potty over and over last year, I was completely calm. I didn't do the warm up swim because it was a cool morning (upper 60s) and I knew if I got wet I would only freeze waiting for the start. When my wave did enter the water, I was shivering a little while we waited for the gun. The water was 78 degrees and yes, I was cold. Once we started though, I warmed up quickly. There were men and woman in my wave and I positioned myself up towards the front with the men. What a difference from last year! I felt great the whole swim. Being able to breath to both sides really keeps me going in a straight line and I don't even have to sight very often. I focused on my form and although accidentally, I swam proudly over someone.  No fear, no panic and kept it all under control. I didn't push the effort, kept it aerobic, and came out of the water feeling like a million bucks. And the best part, almost 8 minutes faster than last year!!!

Swim 1500m - 30:26 (this includes the run up to transition)
T1 - 2:00


Bike:
Nothing special here but I did surprise myself with how comfortable I was. I didn't think twice about dropping right down into aero position and felt fine with other cyclists so close to me (I ride by myself all the time and was worried that might hurt me come race day if I wasn't used to other bikes right on my sides). I definitely could have put a little more into the bike if I wanted to and I should have have used my aero water bottle because I really slow down when I go to get my bottle from the cage. But regardless, I was happy with how it went and averaged 20.2mph (last year, averaged 19mph).

Bike 25.5mi - 1:15:47
T2 - 2:14 (speed laces were too tight, had trouble getting into my shoes and I forgot my gel and had to run back)



Run:
All smiles. Legs felt good off the bike and I immediately fell into an 8min pace. I had no intentions to push anything on the run and just wanted to have fun. Which I did. At one point I had my normal "I'm done with this" thought but instead of letting those thoughts get the better of me, I reminded myself of the fight my Nanny put up all week. That was all I needed to stay positive to the finish.

Run 6.2mi - 50:17 (ave 8:07)




Official Finish - 2:40:44
8/62 F 35-39
313/978 Overall

Overall, a great brick workout and a 15 min PR from last year!! While I know this race was only a fraction of the distance I'll cover at IMFL, I left the race with so much confidence. I am on the right track for IMFL and I know I can do this. For the first time in training, my excitement is outweighing my fear and I'm looking forward to November 3rd.

(Nutrition: Ensure and banana for breakfast. Hammer gel prior to swim, gel and water with Hammer Fizz on bike, and another gel on run. Hammer Recoverite after race.)

8 comments:

Casey said...

Sorry about your grandma. :(
Great pics and a job well done!

ym said...

Sorry to hear about your Grandmother, but good job pushing through, sometimes a distraction isn't a bad thing.

Sounds like you're right on track! Congrats on a great race and an awesome PR.

Jen Feeny said...

My heart goes out to you and your family for your grandmother's passing. :(

Congrats on such a huge course PR! Sometimes you have more in you than what you think!

Jeanette said...

Nanny would say, "You aren't right in the head." But she would be sooooo proud!!!

Unknown said...

Those are *huge* improvements, especially given the emotional stress you must have been feeling. I'm sorry for the loss of your grandmother; it sounds like otherwise things are looking pretty good.

Anonymous said...

8 min! awesome, great job!

Sue's Ramblings said...

Yay Denise!!!

Marlene said...

Major improvements and the swim and bike (especially feeling so comfortable and confident) and a great run too! Way to put it all together for an awesome performance out there. CONGRATS!

So so sorry about Nanny. :( She would be proud, I'm sure! {HUG}