It's not the training that I've been doing that has me overwhelmed. Or the crazy amount of training I'm about to do over the next 7 months. I couldn't be more excited for May to get here so I can start the 6 month count down and see what I'm really made of. And it's not the thought of having no life until November 4th that has me upset. It's not wondering how I'll fit in all my workouts and still being able to stay awake for work that worries me. Nope, none of these things are really bothering me (yet). Instead, it's... ALL...THE...LITTLE...THINGS.
1) I know nothing about all the little details about cycling. And I don't learn well from reading, I'm a watch and learn kind of girl. I've attended bike maintenance classes, took notes, paid attention...and I still feel lost. Completely lost. And it doesn't help when people tell you different things, either. Who the heck is right?!
2) I feel like I don't know the best gear/equipment to get...and that can be a little upsetting because in case you didn't know, for triathlons, you need A LOT of stuff. And none of it is cheap.
3) I've been practicing changing flats and I have good attempts and bad. Then once I finally get the tire and tube on, I struggle because the pump/CO2 dispenser I have on my bike sucks butt. Which I think is because of #2 above. And these purchases that prove to be the wrong choice (there are more than a few!) are adding up and I've made some expensive mistakes.
4) I don't know what maintenance my bike needs when. I currently have two maintenance packages at two different shops because I don't know what I'm doing. The one is close to home but now I'm wondering if they really know what they are doing. The one bike shop I love is 45 minutes away and with everything I have going on, it's just not feasible to be going back and forth over there all the time.
5) When I bought my road bike last winter, I never thought it would be used for an Ironman. But some aerobars later and that's what I'm using for IMFL. I can't turn back time but I wish I would have thought the process out a little more before I bought this one. I have a fear I'm trying to make my road bike do something it wasn't designed to do.
The list really could go on and on about all the little things that I'm worried about. Maybe I'm finding things to stress me out because the actual training isn't worrying me. Deep inside I know I can handle the training. I just sometimes wish tris were like running...all you need to do is throw on a pair of shoes and head out the door. I'm so type A (shocking, I know) and not having everything perfect and knowing every little detail is making me feel like I'm in way over my head. I even said to Andy this past weekend that I'm scared I bit off more than I can chew. And this comment came out of frustration when changing a tire, nothing to do with training.
*sigh*
Where do I go to learn all that I need to know?!?!?
5 comments:
Once you find the answers, I'd love to know! I also hope to complete an Ironman in a few years, so I'm interested in picking up what you learn.
Go to a triathlon camp and meet all the other type A triathletes?
But that is more $$ and time you might not have.
For the flats- buy spare wheels, front and back, and have Andy follow you on a moped during the Ironman.
It works at the Tour de France.
wish i could help but i know none of that as well. but the good news you have plenty of time to learn!
I've got nothing to offer you. I spent some time on YouTube this week looking for "how to change a bike tire", just in case I needed some knowledge like that. ;)
If you want one less thing to worry about, visit the New Balance Philadelphia & South Jersey Facebook page. They are having a contest to win $100, $200 or up to $1000 worth of sneakers. This way you don't need to fret over the cost of continually replacing your running shoes! I've entered the contest and am hoping it'll help my expenses for the year - fingers crossed! good luck
Post a Comment