Tuesday, April 24, 2012

First Aero Experience

As I approach the start of my 6 month training plan, I'm starting to realize just how much things are going to change. I was doing pretty well, up to this month, managing everything I have going on. But the past month, as my workouts grew a little bit more, it's been harder than normal. Between my real job, personal training, teaching at the YMCA, nutritionist appointments, ART appointments, swim lessons, a social life and that little thing called IM training, I'm stretched pretty thin. It's finally all catching up to me and I realize that something is gonna have to give. Since I can't quit the day job and IM training is my focus for the remainder of the year, I see my social life slowly slipping away from me. I knew I wouldn't have much of a life this summer, but for the first time it's becoming real. I felt a little down the other day thinking about a lonely summer and how I'll have to sit so many fun things out, but I made this decision and I want it so badly that I know it will all be worth it.

On a brighter note, I survived my first long ride outside in aero position last Saturday!! The first half hour was a little rough but I quickly settled in. You're so wobbly when you're in aero and any slight movement feels so exaggerated, especially if you hit an unexpected bump. But I'm happy to report that I had no crashes except when I went to get off the damn bike. Had my left foot unclipped, as I always do, and I fell to the right. Go figure. Bruised up my right hip, knee and wrist pretty good but at least that's better than hitting a tree.  I made it through a little over 2 hours and headed home feeling so positive. Before I even left for that ride, I knew it was an important one. I needed to set the tone for the rest of the summer and I couldn't be happier it started off so well. Not only did I feel good in aero, I felt really strong when we pushed the pace. The bike is, and probably always will be, very scary to me. But I finished that ride on Saturday knowing I will be absolutely fine. And with the amount of time I'll be spending on the bike, it can only get better!

I can't believe I've been counting down since January, never really thinking May would get here. And now here I am, a week to go. I have a feeling the next few months are going to fly.

5 comments:

Jeanette said...

Train hard and I'll see you in November :)

Erin said...

Enjoy the training and the IM experence! I did IM Lake Placid last year as my first IM. All the lonely training is worth it when you are coming to the finish line and you hear "You are now an Ironman". It is an AMAZING feeling! Take it all in because it goes by so quickly :)

Marlene said...

Congrats on the aero ride! It's gonna be a tough summer but in SUCH a good way. You're made for this!

Yikes to the fall... I nearly go down every time I unclip. Oy.

Marlene said...

Congrats on the aero ride! It's gonna be a tough summer but in SUCH a good way. You're made for this!

Yikes to the fall... I nearly go down every time I unclip. Oy.

N.D. said...

thats so cool! great job on the aero!