Thursday, June 7, 2012

May Recap

One month down, five to go! When I think about how fast May went and that we're already a week into June, I panic a little. Training is going well, but thinking about the actual race, the mass swim start, the crowded bike course...that's what gets my heart rate up. But I've been doing pretty good at taking it one week at a time. Training is set up as 3 weeks build, 1 week recovery and I'm trying to not look out past the week I'm currently on. So far, it's been working for me and May was a pretty good month. Here's a recap...

Swim - 38,050 yards
Bike - 442.77 miles
Run - 106.5 miles

May started off a little rocky but I think that was due to just being a little overwhelmed and needing to get used to my new weekend schedule. There were some tears of doubt the second weekend when I just felt like I was in completely over my head and had no business doing an Ironman. I was pretty rattled that weekend but pushed through week 3 and went into the cut back week feeling much more confident about things.

The long Saturday workouts (5-5.5 hours) really aren't that bad and they reinforced my love of endurance events. I could literally spend all day working out. My running is totally different than where it was at the beginning of the year. I'm still nursing the PF in my right foot and have not put much effort, if any, into speed work. My long runs are on Sunday and I've had a few where my legs were feeling the effect of the long ride the day before but aside from that, I feel pretty good during them. I think my body might remember Ultra training and what running on tired legs feels like. I have learned though that there's no way I could combine road races with Tri training...it just wouldn't work.

Aside from the long weekend workouts, the week day workouts are going great. Since I've always been used to long workouts before work, I haven't really noticed any difference. I'm even managing to get both my workouts on double days in before work so I can go home in the evening and spend time with Andy. Who, by the way, is the best husband you could have during Ironman training. 

So the first month is behind me and I survived. In fact, I've seen improvement every single week on the bike. Even as the distance gets longer, my average pace is getting faster. I still have my wobbly moments, but I'm definitely getting more comfortable with each passing week. Big accomplishment for me as we know how much the bike freaks me out.

My goal for June - wiggle my way into my wet suit and find a pair of tri shorts that don't chafe the hoo ha.

3 comments:

Jeanette said...

Before you know it, you will be on the course and doing great! You always manage to pull the rabbit out of the hat :)

raulgonemobile said...

I'm training for a sprint tri, and I'm in awe of the commitment it must be to do what you're doing. (And I totally suck on the bike, so I feel ya there.)

Marlene said...

I need to get some more morning discipline going so I can enjoy some free time & hubby (+ puppy!) time in the evening. Glad the new routine is working for you. Honestly, and I believe I have said this before, YOU ARE SO CUT OUT FOR THIS!