I've been going to a nutritionist for several months now. I've gone before in the past because of disordered eating habits but this time around it was more my training that made me realize I needed some guidance. For years I managed through marathon training on about 1200 calories a day and as a result, zero energy. Now I never dropped down to a size 0 or wasted away because my body held on to everything so it could get through the next workout and daily activities of life. I lived in a constant state of exhaustion and didn't even trust myself to drive into work some days because it was that hard to keep my eyes open. There was even an instance where I passed out/blacked out/whatever you want to call it on a 22 mile run. That shook me a little but not enough that I made many changes to how much I was eating. In fact, I wrote it off for a long time refusing to admit it was my own fault that happened.
Well, when it came time to start TRI training, I knew there was no way I could get through it doing what I was doing, so back to the nutritionist I went. The first session was horrible and I spent days crying over my new eating plan, how many calories I was going to consume and the weight I feared I would gain. Since my body was so used to being restricted, the theory is that it will hold on to the food until it trusts it won't be restricted again, and then eventually the body will adjust to the appropriate weight. We upped the calories very gradually and surprisingly, after the first few weeks, I actually lost a little weight. What? Ate more and lost weight...yup, that's exactly what happened. Now, things were going well until I had the hiccup between Shamrock and Boston where I couldn't do a darn thing and I coped with my injury by eating like crud and graining more than a few pounds. I have a terrible "all or none" behavior pattern which needs to change and I'm working on it! Now while most of this has come off, of course there's always "just one more pound" that I'd like to lose.
Over the course of a few months, my caloric intake has gone from ~1200 calories to 2700 a day and we're still planning to add more. I'm pretty much eating non stop because it's hard to get that many calories when you eat healthy and overall, I'm feeling more energetic most days. It's been a struggle because I'm not at the training weight I'd like to be at but I know I can't focus on losing weight right now...even if that's always in the back of my mind. I need to trust what we're doing and remember that I'm not little, heck, there is nothing petite about me, and that I'll never be a size 0. Eventually my body will adjust and find its healthy, happy weight but until then I'll keep reminding myself that I'm a 3:35 marathoner and a triathlete. A few extra pounds may have settled in places I don't like, but they aren't going to slow me down!!
Where is all this coming from? I've just been struggling with the "trying to fuel my workouts" and "training weight" debacle. I know what I need to do; I got certified as a personal trainer, I'm educated in the subject. It's just hard to take your own advice some times, especially when you are as stubborn as I am. Each day though I'm trying to think of my workout the following day and what I need to do today to make sure I get the most out tomorrow. And to do that, I need to refuel. I'm not all the way there yet, and I may never be there completely, but each day I'm starting to follow my own advice a little more. Since I know I'm not alone in this, I just want to say that I'm proof that eating less during training does not equal healthy weight loss. All it gets you is less than stellar workouts and crankiness (at least in my case, just ask Andy!).
12 comments:
I know your road hasn't been easy, but you're doing a great job. Keep your eye on the prize and lean on the love and support of those around you. :o)
Wow you know that could be my prb! My eating is sporatic and no matter how much I work out I stay the same weight. I get fatigued easy and suffer from over training very quickly..
I always read your posts about this stuff but rarely comment on them because I never know quite what to say. I wanted to let you know, though, that I know this has been a long struggle, and I'm so impressed with your commitment to working through it, both for yourself as an athlete and to serve as a model for those you're going to be training.
This is definitely an issue I have as well. I think it's possible to lose a little weight when you're just running. But with all the training you're doing, you've got to focus on getting enough nutrition. Also, remember that the scale isn't the end of the story. You are likely gaining muscle and losing fat! Great job. I'm very jealous of your dedication.
Well, well said. I struggle with finding a balance...I feel like I should be leaner with the amount I do but my body doesn't feel this way and I know some of it is not having a good balance b/w eating enough and then undereating...which my body hates and lets me know it.
Thank you for this post! I am in the process of trying to find a balance as well-trying to not necessarily watch the number on the scale but my ability to perform instead. It's a tricky process. I've just started making a concentrated effort again this week to be aware of what I eat and make sure I'm not only eating well but eating enough, as I'm training for my first marathon and know my body will need to be taken care of. It seems to always be a work in progress!
I could have written this myself EXCEPT for the tri part, of course. It's soooo damn hard to find the balance between eating enough and too much, especially when WEIGHT is always "weighing" on my mind. Glad you are taking control of things to ensure that you stay healthy and STRONG, which is what matters most. I hear you on having a hard time taking your own advice.
Thanks for sharing this and putting it all out there. It was good for me to read!
I am so glad you have started going to a nutritionist and are taking their advice! I know this is something you have struggled with for a long time, but sounds like you are on a great path right now to finding the balalnce. Refuleing is SO important!! I totally know how you feel too - constantly eating... so hard to get enough calories in when they are healthy ones!
Ugh I know the feeling I run 50-70 miles a week on top of everything else I KNOW I need to eat a lot, but somedays I'd rather starve. It broke my heart when I outgrew my size 0 jeans, but I remind myself when I was that I couldn't run, lift nothing. Hugs I know it sucks, but remember that feeling crossing the finish line will be so much better then the feeling of restricting.
i am really glad you shared this. I think there are so many women who struggle with this mindset and as athletes learning to fuel our bodies is about more than calories...it is about good food choices and not being afraid of fuel. I am so happy you are finding a new balance
I've had ladies both smaller than me & heavier than me leave me in the dust in the swim/bike/run, so I can't make any correlations about weight & performance at this point.
I'm just trying to get my fruits & veggies in at this point. Oreos as a reward if I get my 4 servings of each during the day ;)
wow, 2700 sounds insane compared to 1200. I could never take the advice of a nutritionist. I just never believed that I could eat that many calories and not gain like 10 lbs. I should probably go back though. That's crazy you lost weight at first. I have been trying to eat 1500-1800 but I'm not losing weight. I should def go see another one and try to believe her this time. You are doing great. I'm so proud of you for upping it and doign what is right for your body!
Post a Comment