Thursday, June 23, 2011

No Pool Love

I was sitting here thinking about how good I feel. My body feels great and mentally, I'm strong and focused. I'm not sure what clicked but ever since the Sprint TRI, things just seem to be...right.  I'm in the midst of one of my highest training hour weeks and I feel like I have a lot more in me. Running is going exceptionally well and when running by feel I'm knocking out some paces that are surprising me. What used to be my "sort of push it pace" is now my easy pace and my speed work paces are getting quicker, too. I'm feeling great on the bike and have learned how to really push the intensity and get a great workout. I'm even excited about my long rides on the weekend and am not sad I traded long runs for the bike at all! It all seems like it's coming together so nicely...with one exception. The pool.

I just don't love the pool. I know I'm not going to love everything, but the pool sort of sucks. On a good note though, I find the pool more tolerable on a hard workout day than an easy day. For some reason pushing myself to the point where I'm gasping for air and feel like I might hurl makes the time go by so much faster. And I guess I'm just a little frustrated because you can't see improvements with swimming as easily as you can with, say, running. Sure I can knock time off but if that sacrifices form, then I don't think it's worth it. I need to come out of the water feeling great so I have to find the balance between speed and form, where I'm not sacrificing one for the other.

I mentioned to Andy the other day my frustrations about swimming and that "I'm just not good in the pool." His response sort of shocked me when he said, "Good!" When I asked what the heck he meant by that he said he thinks it's good for me to not be good at everything, that it's not realistic and it's like a kid getting everything they want. I didn't bother to have a debate with him about this because we've had countless discussions about how I want to be good at everything I do. I'm not the type of person to do something and not try to perfect it. If I'm doing it, I want to be the best I can at it. So instead of discussing it further with him, I walked away knowing I'm going to keep at it until I AM good in the pool.  I may not love it, but damn it, I'll be good at it!

Quick gluten free update...going great!! On day 4, feeling really good. Had a little stomach trouble early in the week but I know I need to give it more time. The only thing I'm struggling with is finding snack options for my late afternoon carb snack at work. I need to hit up the GF section at the store so I'm prepared for next week. If anyone has any GF suggestions for a healthy carb snack, can you let me know? Right now my staples are oatmeal, quinoa and brown rice as my carbs.

9 comments:

Shellyrm ~ just a country runner said...

I sometimes feel like that towards my hubs who is good naturally at most everything. But I wouldn't say it out load. I want him to be successful in everything he tries and I only get envious that things don't come as easy for me. I have the same attitude as you, it might not come easy but if I want to do it I'm going to do it until I get good it!

SupermomE13 said...

I am so impressed with triathletes! And I am like you... if I am doing something I want to be good at it... REALLY good at it. But keep working in the pool and I am sure you will get really good at it, and you will be that much more proud because you worked hard to get there. :)

I would really appreciate it if you could help me spread the word... I have a huge fundraising giveaway going on with over $650 worth of prizes.
http://seemomrunfar.blogspot.com/2011/06/totally-awesome-fundraising-giveaway.html
Thanks so much!!

Marlene said...

I hear you on wanting to be good at everything - maybe that is part of what keeps me scared of tris?

You WILL get better in the water and Andy will eat those words. ;)

Aron said...

I think it will just take time - before you know it you will start to see improvements!

I have brown rice cakes I eat with PB on them sometimes - maybe that would work?

Jeanette said...

I think Andy said what he did about the pool bc he doesn't want you asking for your own pool now :)

Mike of FailureToDetectSarcasm.com said...

That's great about the gluten free.

The pool/swimming offers so many opportunities to improve. Challenging yourself in a master's class. Striving for efficient and energy conservation versus speed. Hell, you're already on the podium so you can definitely put more focus towards the swim and bike.

Note: Smile when you talk to the triathletes who never touch a pool and finish in the top 10 coming out of the water. However that works.

Michelle said...

Dad Wonder is just good at everything, so I feel Andy's pain. You will get it though - practice makes perfect!

Here is a recipe for flax crackers that I am making for Dad Wonder:
http://cleangreensimple.com/2011/05/flax-crackers/

Also Brenden Frazier has a great recipe for vegetable crackers that I have actually made and are pretty good
http://sproutsandcoconuts.blogspot.com/2010/02/vegetable-crackers.html

Bootchez said...

Oooh, there's these crackers at my local healthfood store, called NutThins, wheat and gluten free. Fabulously tasty. I like the almond/ranch ones. "Blue Diamond Natural" brand. Yum!

Anonymous said...

My girlfriend gave up Gluten about two years ago. Truly a huge difference for her. I have been thinking about it but don't think I could cut it out completely. I definitely need to work on eating less junk though!

Ps- I think it is good to be not great at everything too :) gives you something to strive for!