Thursday, June 9, 2011

I am a Triathlete! (and WINNER)

I think I've been smiling since Sunday. There was something about the TRI that clicked with me and I think once I get used to the open water swims, this may just be my new love. However, the memory of the swim is still burning in my brain and I haven't been able to get it off my mind. The panic I felt is still really fresh and a few nights this week I found myself having trouble falling asleep because I was thinking about it. Every seasoned triathlete I've talked to said what I experienced is completely normal and expected and that it does get better with time. I hope they're right because the next one is only 6 short weeks away....

The next 6 weeks of training are jammed packed with workouts but I'm feeling great and ready to tackle them. With the recent Achilles* flare up, my Coach and I decided that it's probably best to cut back my running. Going into the training I had requested to keep my long training runs because I wanted to stay in marathon shape. Because come on, you never know when you might need to run 26.2 miles!! Well, those long runs on top of all the other training weren't needed for my upcoming TRIs and were possibly (I'm not 100% sold) aggravating the Achilles. So, the schedule has been adjusted and the running has been cut back. I still do a fair amount of running, with my mid week runs being as long as 1:15, but there won't be any 20 miles in my near future. I've realized that it's more important to keep myself healthy than to rack up pointless miles. There will be plenty of time for marathon training come September 11th when my TRI season is over.

If you can't tell, I'm feeling really positive about things. A switch went off on Sunday after the race and brought me back to where I want to be. I've been slacking off a little and making excuses and I'm ready for the old me to come back. I've got my game face on and am determined to kill the next month of training. I'm going to swim, bike and run my ass off, because, well...that's what Triathletes do. And now I'm one of them! I've got a lot of work ahead of me and there are improvements to be made, but I'll get there and 6 weeks from now I'll be ready to crush the Olympic distance.

The winner of the Mondetta Performance Gear, pick randomly by number generator Andy, is # 24 -- Marisa @ the pace of my life. Marisa, email me at dclaffey76@yahoo.com.

*so I didn't take my doctors advice and go back into the boot. While the pain was there, I knew I wasn't at that point. Last week I took off from running, only did light swimming and biking, and stretched the hell out of my achilles and calves. I felt pretty good after the TRI and so far this week things are going well. Stretching is now a daily part of my routine and I think it's making a big difference. But I'm keeping my fingers crossed nonetheless.

8 comments:

Janice {Run Far} said...

WAHOO!!!! Congrats. I would definetly have a hard time with the open water swim as well.

Marlene said...

Yay! So happy to see you feeling good about things and EXCITED as you move forward with triathlon training. You're gonna kill it!!! I hope the achilles responds well to less running - and never bothers you again!!!

Michelle said...

Yippee!!! Glad you are feeling better!!

Zoë said...

Congrats!!!

Anonymous said...

I am glad this was such a positive experience for you. You hit training hard from go-time and the hard work paid off. Congrats again!

Abby said...

Ah! I'm so far behind! And this post makes me so very happy :) Such an amazing experience to have that "click." Can't wait to see where it takes you.

joyRuN said...

Keep getting in the water (open) & you'll get over it. I managed to get in the bay for the first time this year with minimal panic :)

My boot has been surprisingly helpful to rest my foot when things start to flare up, particularly a nasty case of peroneal tendinitis. I hate that darn thing, but it's served me well.

Zoë said...

Congrats TRIATHLETE!! :)