Wednesday, September 1, 2010

McMillan Says...

I can't believe it's September already. Where did the summer go and why do I feel like I completely missed it? I started the summer training for my second Ultra, spent the middle of the summer in a boot, and finished the summer with 117.8 miles in August! I am really happy with my mileage for August considering I had myself convinced I wouldn't be running much coming out of the boot and definitely not in any shape for marathon training. I'm glad I was wrong!

This week starts the 12 week training cycle for Philly marathon. I wasn't sure what I would do with my upcoming marathons and thought I'd wait till this point to see how I was feeling. I wanted to make sure I was able to up my long run distances and build a solid base up quickly without problems. Now that I've done that and had 2 successful 5ks, I think it's time to consider my options for Philly. All along Philly had been my goal race for 2010 and I wanted to shoot for a PR...more specifically a 3:35. With the whole boot debacle, I wasn't sure I'd even attempt to race this year but now that McMillan is telling me it's possible, I might have to give it a shot. ;-)


sorry, this is as big as I could make it to fit on the page!

I'll be honest though, the thought of holding an 8:00 minute pace for 26.2 miles scares the crap out of me. I know I said that last year about an 8:20ish pace and I did it, but I remember how I felt crossing the finish line and how badly everything hurt. I can't imagine shaving 20 seconds per mile off my time. But I think I want to go for it. If I don't I'll be left wondering if I had it in me...

Here's my schedule for the week:
Mon - 4 mi
Tues - 7 mi (with some intervals)
Wed - lift
Thurs - 6 mi
Fri - 4 mi and cross train
Sat - 18 mi
Sun - cross train and lift

17 comments:

Marlene said...

I love playing the "McMillan Says" game. :) Sub-3:30... you have it in you!!!

Bethany + Ryan said...

oh you can totally do it!!! i'm a sub 3:30 marathoner and you run way more than i do!!! you got it. Mcmillian says 3:22 for me. LOL, that's not happening!

Tricia said...

good luck with your goals!

Iron Mike said...

Awesome goal, I look forward to hearing how much more it hurts to shave off those 20 seconds/mile.
Keep kicking butt with the mileage and have fun!

RunToTheFinish said...

i never use that calculator, I guess cause I don't race that often...but now that I have this little goal in mind...i better check it out.

you speedster can hit any goal you choose, you have the determination!

Aron said...

i loooove mcmillan.

GO FOR IT! you can at least train at those paces, why not, your ability is there.

Mel -Tall Mom on the Run said...

Heheheeh I feel the same I doubt I will EVER beat my 3:37 PR.... I wasnt hurting at the end but being that focussed for so many months and so many miles was TOUGH!

Sandy said...

If it's any bit of encouragement, I use McMillan all the time...and every time I follow his advice for training run paces, I have done better than what "McMillan says"! Good luck!

Casey said...

You'll do great!! I can't wait to see how it goes!

Ewa said...

Fall is a fantastic time of the year to train. Good luck reaching your goals and your training plan looks really good.

Jamie said...

you have come so far post injury - great job on August! good luck with your new goal; you so have it in you!

Scott McMurtrey said...

I think the boot was just a figment of our imaginations. Hasn't even slowed you down. :)

N.D. said...

all I can say is that I'm so glad I'm not running it! ha!

Abby said...

I've never used McMillan... maybe next time :)

N.D. said...

btw where and how fast are you running your 18 miles this weekend?

Anonymous said...

Love the McMillian says! Looking forward to meeting you soon!

Katie A. said...

I think you've got it in you! I've been working all summer at it and I still don't know if I can. But I'm sure as hell gonna try! I may go down in a pile of flames but we can at least try!
Good luck on the 18!!!!! I'm doing 18, too! ;)