Thursday, January 31, 2013

The End

When I started this blog in August 2008 it was to document training for my first marathon. If you had told me that 4 years later I'd hear the words, "Hey Denise, you're an Ironman!" I would have said you were bat shit crazy. The past four and a half years have been pretty exciting for me and I've done things I never would have even considered 10 years ago, let alone thought possible. I've known for a while that I lost my passion for blogging, but as I sit here typing up my last post, I'm really sad. I've met so many people through blogging and am even walking away with some dear friends. It's been a fun little journey, but I feel it's time to throw in the towel*. If you've learned anything about me over the years, I hope it's that I'm determined, happy, and love a good challenge. So even though I'm not documenting it, know that I'm out there trying to set new PRs, go further distances, trying new things and all along the way, I'll be smiling while I do it.

Thanks to everyone for reading and following over the years. The support and cheerleading through the blog was always the extra push I needed during races. Thanks to my parents and sisters who worry, but always support me in whatever I do. They were there to cry with me when I crossed the most meaningful finish line of my life and that day would not have been the same without them. And the biggest thank you goes to Andy. Because if it wasn't for him always telling me I could do it and being there to hug me when I thought it just wasn't possible, I wouldn't have accomplished any of this crazy stuff. He has sacrificed just as much as I have to make my personal goals and dreams a reality and for that I'll be forever grateful.

I hope every mile you swim, bike or run is a happy one!


*maybe it will turn out to be a little break based on how I feel saying it's over :-(




10 comments:

The Great El Andyo! said...

Glad that I was there to help you along the way! It's been a great journey so far. What's next?

Jeanette said...

Awwww! Sad day:(
To answer Andy's question.... Speed walking! Or babies...

RunToTheFinish said...

i want to cry :(

Abby said...

I've gone back and forth for months about posting something similar :) Keep in touch and let's link up for a run sometime soon!

Shellyrm ~ just a country runner said...

You were one of the first blogs I started reading. But I think everyone needs a break. So maybe it's an end maybe not, either way some glad to have shared some of it with you. There are loads of other ways to stay in touch. Maybe you'll be back...one day. And I bet you'll have loads of stories to share.

Sue's Ramblings said...

Oh no! I've been inspired by your blog posts and I've enjoyed following your journey. Anyway, all the best for your future endeavors Denise.

Johann said...

All the best in what ever you decide to do. I've always enjoyed your posts. Take care!

Anonymous said...

This is sad, but I understand this perhaps better than most as I have made the decision before as well. Even upon returning to blogging, it was more about missing the writing. I barely have any readers now and that matters so little. I made lifelong friendships while blogging, a bonus to me.

I am so glad we had the opportunity to meet and that I got to follow on your awesome journey. We will keep in touch on FB, I am sure AND we might even run into each other at some races!

It is a good thing to know when you are done with something. Congrats on continuing life's journey in the way you feel best!

Jen Feeny said...

This makes me sad, but I totally get it. Thank you for all YOUR support and comments along the way, you were one of the first people to ever comment on my blog and I think I'll always feel a connection to you because of that. I've watched you go from full to ultra, half IM to full IM, it's been such a journey. Make sure you let me know the next time you guys are in A2! Sending big hugs!!!

Sara said...

I will miss your blog - whether it be a break or forever and am wishing you the best in racing and in life! :) Take care.