Tuesday, October 2, 2012

September Recap

Life/work has been so insane lately that I haven't even had he time to think about blogging let alone type up a post. But since I'm apparently in the midst of the craziest thing I'll ever take on, I feel like I need to document something. A lot has gone on since my last post but as you'd expect, most of it includes long, long rides, long runs and lots of swimming.

I'm in the last week of my last build and this past weekend I did my longest ride...106.7 miles. It was uneventful, thankfully, and the wind I experienced the entire ride was hopefully good practice for race day. I once again rode by myself and while it was lonely at times, I stayed focused and tried not to let the wind frustrate me. Really there's nothing more frustrating than pedaling away into a head wind. From what I hear, it sounds like I'll experience a head wind in FL for only half the course...and I'm praying it's on the way out.  A nice tail wind pushing me to T2 would be the best! Anyway, everything went well and I feel pretty confident with my nutrition plan. I thought for sure I'd be wiped out the rest of the day but I actually felt fine by the time I got home. My legs felt great and when I woke up the following day, I knocked out a 18 mile run like it was nothing. Don't get me wrong, by mile 13 my legs were tired!!! And heavy. And my back hurt. But my legs didn't slow down and they held pace. In fact, my last 3 miles were my fastest.

So this week is all leading up to my final brick workout: 90 mile ride/16 mile run. A few months ago this seemed like the scariest workout ever. But now, I'm actually excited for it. It will be a big test and the closest to race day that I'm going to get. I'm treating it as if it were the race and taking it very serious. Not only do I want this to go well, I need this to go well. I'm starting to get scared/anxious/nervous so killing this brick would be an incredible confidence booster. No pressure, but I'm focused and ready for it.

It's hard to believe that the race is one month from tomorrow. But each month as I look back at the numbers, I know I put in a lot of hard work. Here's September's recap:

Swim - 31600 yds*
Bike - 624.69 miles
Run - 135.04 miles

Not too shabby.

*(slightly lighter month due to such long rides on wknd; didn't force myself to get that extra Saturday swim in)

No comments: