Friday, September 7, 2012

IM Training Nutrition


As I pack for my 80/15 brick tomorrow, I thought it’d be a good opportunity to post about what’s getting me through IM training. So, what does it look like getting ready for these workouts:
 
 
Before leaving the house I drink an Ensure and take an Endurolyte. Then about 45 minutes later, right before I get on the bike, I have a banana.  Over the next few weekends I might try adding something to eat with the Ensure because I’m not sure that’s enough to start with on race day since I’ll be swimming before I even get on the bike.
 
On the bike:
Throughout the ride I drink from a concentrated bottle of Perpetuem. I make up the bottle based on how far I’m going and when I plan to loop back to the car. My bottle has one scoop of Perpetuem per every hour I plan to be sipping from that bottle. I always start with a 3-hour bottle and 3 scoops in one bottle does not make a paste, it’s still a liquid. I set my watch to beep every 15 minutes as a reminder to take a sip. When I swing by the car, I make up another bottle based on how far I still have to go.
 
I also carry a flask with Hammer gel in it and occasionally take a sip as needed. I really rely on my hunger for this and if I start to feel like I need something, I use it. If I feel ok, I skip it. Inside my bento box I also keep a little pouch of Tots fruit snacks, just in case I want something solid to eat and throughout the whole ride I take Endurolyte capsules and use Fizz tablets in my water.
 
During my 100-mile ride last weekend I ate an uncrustable PB&J…which at that time tasted like the best thing ever!! While I don’t use these every weekend, it will be something I put in my special needs bag. I’m going to practice with these on my last big brick to make sure my stomach can handle it when it comes time to run.
 
On the run:
Since my stomach is so finicky on the run and can’t handle solids or anything with sugar, I stick with Hammer gels. Apple cinnamon and chocolate are my favorites lately…yum!!! I recently also tried Perpetuem solids. My first time using them was on the bike but I’m going to switch to using them on the run. It’s a solid that you don’t chew; you just let it slowly dissolve in your mouth. I wasn’t really comfortable riding with something in my mouth for fear of choking but I liked them and think it’s an easy way to get some nutrition. One solid lasted over 30 minutes in my mouth, just to give you an idea.
 
I also always run with my own water bottle (it’s like a security blanket), and will do so on race day, too. And once again, I put Fizz tablets in the water and carry extra for when I refill. Grape Fizz tablets are probably the best thing ever invented.
 
Post workout:
I’m never interested in eating right after a workout but I know the importance of getting something in me right away. I know lots of people rave about chocolate milk but that can turn my stomach if I’m not in the mood for it, it’s too thick.  I use Recoverite and have never had any post workout stomach issues from it; it's light and doesn't make me think of curdling milk. Yuck.  I also toss back 2 Tissue Rejuvenator capsules and a vitamin D tablet.
 
Last, I use to take melatonin to help me sleep, as I’m a terrible sleeper. But I couldn’t take the crazy, vivid dreams and eventually I felt like it wasn’t helping very much. I went several months not needing anything and was doing pretty well but then the restless nights came back.  I switched to REM caps and love them! Anyone who knows me knows how much I LOVE sleep, so it couldn’t make me happier to find something that helps
 
 
So that's about it. It's not just about working out when you train for an IM, nutrition and recovery are a huge part. Thankfully I think I've nailed the nutrition piece.

3 comments:

Jason said...

It's not just about working out when you train for an IM, nutrition and recovery are a huge part.


and truer words have never been said.

I am a fanatic about the nutrition and recovery from training/racing which is why I was beyond myself two weeks ago at Rev3.

Not a single f'n banana to be had. I was frustrated beyond belief with this. Had I known there would be nothing for a vegetarian after the race I would have packed a tiny cooler. Lesson learned.

8 weeks away my friend, 8 weeks away! BOOM!

Sweat Is My Sanity said...

Gee's that sounds complicated. Looks like you've got it down though. :) Way to go girl. Jessica

sweatismysanity.com

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the recommendation. those kind of recommendation are quite good to improve your training. It makes it better at least a little bit. It is great.

price per head services