I swear the work Gods are against me. Every week before a race the shit hits the fan at work and it's complete chaos. This week has consisted of stressful, long days and this 5 minute mental break for this post will hopefully keep me from screaming. The only good part of this craziness is that it's keeping my mind off of this little thing I have scheduled for Sunday....my first Olympic Tri!!
On Sunday I'll be racing my second triathlon, first Olympic distance. The race consists of a 0.93 mile swim, 25.5 mile bike and a 10k run. I'm usually all about goals, even when it's my first time doing a particular race, but with the heat wave we're currently experiencing, my only goal is to not over heat and die. If you're not part of the fun on the East coast, we have temperatures exceeding 100 degrees today and tomorrow and the humidity is making it feel closer to 110. When I left for work today at 7am it was already a toasty, humid 84 degrees. The temperatures are supposed to fall a bit by Sunday with highs only in the mid 90's. With the race starting at 7:30am, hopefully it won't be too bad.
I have some general times for each part that I'd like to hit but I'm not going to beat myself up if I can't nail my race pace on the run. In a way, I think the heat is almost a good thing. It's keeping me much more relaxed and I'm not so focused on what finish time I want to get. With this being my first Olympic distance, it should be more about the experience and what I can learn, than how quickly I can get it done.
But with all that being said, I feel pretty good about it. A little anxious about the swim, as I start in a wave with men, but I'm trying to tell myself it's just goofing off in the water and not to take it too seriously. I had my final brick last weekend with a 2 hour bike and an hour run. With both covering distances longer than I'll see this Sunday, and my first three miles of the run around a 7:30, I finished up peak week feeling pretty confident. I put in the time for this race, even a little extra, and I'm ready to have some fun!! Knowing there's a beer garden at the finish and that this kicks off a week of vacation is definitely helping!
3 more sleeps till the fun begins!
10 comments:
You definitely have the right attitude with the weather. And hey, going into my BQ Marathon I was stressing HUUUUGE over the weather, went into it thinking 'there go my time goals' and look what happened. Sometimes it works in your favor. ;)
Good luck and be safe. Hydrate like it's your job!!!
Will look forward to hearing about it when I get home Monday!!
Good luck with your first olympic! You'll do great. The summer you're having is reminding me EXACTLY what it was like there last summer. Gah, that was awful!
You're going to have a blast! Go get it.
good luck this weekend, can't wait to hear how it goes.
agreed i like the do not die goal :)
work is such a funny thing...it just really knows when to pile it on
Sleep well, and knock 'em dead! Can't wait to hear about it next week.
You'll get a good boost when you're passing the Guys in your swim heat.
Steady on the bike, burn on the run, you'll do great! Have fun!
Good luck!!
Hope the weather cooperates for you. You'll probably be so speedy that you'll be done by the time it heats up anyway! Have fun!
Good luck this weekend! and have a blast!
have a GREAT race this weekend!!!
Ugh work is going to be HELL for me next week... with a marathon at the end of the week. I swear they plan it that way. >:(
Post a Comment